Turco forgets bad goal as Stars win 6th straight

Mike Modano stars for Dallas in road victory over the New York Islanders

Stars Islanders Hockey

UNIONDALE, N.Y. – Marty Turco skates pretty well for a goalie, just not well enough to beat forward Richard Park to a loose puck.\nTurco and the Stars were able to laugh about the goalie’s gaffe that put them behind the New York Islanders early, especially after Mike Modano scored twice to lift Dallas to its sixth straight win.\n“Normally I would just take him out, but I thought I still had a chance,” Turco said after the 3-2 overtime win Monday night. “You win some, you lose some.”\nModano made it a fantastic finish for the Stars when he scored 35 seconds into overtime. Turco lost the race to the speedy Park, but left the ice as a winner anyway.\nWith the game scoreless and the Islanders playing short-handed in the second period, Park raced alone after a loose puck that slid toward the Dallas end. Turco, never shy about leaving his crease, skated out toward the charging Park but didn’t get to the puck in time. Park corralled it above the right circle, moved around Turco and stared at an empty net.\nPark controlled the puck at the goal line, worked away from defenseman Sergei Zubov, who tried to cover for Turco, and tucked in a backhand at 9:07.\n“I don’t know if I ever got walked on like that,” said Turco, who finished with 23 saves. “We had a little chuckle when I got back to the bench.”\nIt was almost the second skating blunder of the night for Turco, who got caught in the first period while playing a puck along the left-wing boards. He had to scramble back to the net after the Islanders provided Dallas with some anxious moments.\n“He’s a much better goalie in the net than out of the net,” Stars coach Dave Tippett said. “That’s why he plays goal and not defense.”