Monday, June 17

There’s no place like Bloomington

After 3 months on campus, B-town starts to feel like home for freshmen

The transition from high school to college can present many problems for freshmen. \nDespite these difficulties, students said they feel IU comforts them, and they feel that Bloomington is like home. \n“Living in the dorms was an easy transition for me,” freshman Aaron Rusnak said. “I had gone away to camp for so many years and was used to being away from home and living with roommates.” \nPrograms coordinated in the summer have helped students grow comfortable with living on campus. \n“It was really easy to make friends here,” freshman Ashlyn Hrenko said. “I found it easier because I went to the summer program Intensive Freshman Seminars and I already established a group of friends.” \nIntensive Freshman Seminars occur during the three weeks right before the fall semester begins, offering freshmen a chance to take courses at IU before the official move-in day. \nThrough both summer orientation and Welcome Week, IU staff focuses on making new students feel like they are part of a family. \n“The Freshman Induction Ceremony is a wonderful introduction to the traditions and purpose of the institution,” Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs Damon Sims said in an e-mail interview. “It conveys to new students and their families that they have become a part of the University’s extended family that includes faculty, staff, administrators and other students and family members.” \nSims said that most, if not all, college administrators, advisers and professors would tell freshmen that time management is one of the most important skills to master. \n“Many people told me that time management was a huge issue for college students,” freshman Nicole Cooper said. “I’ve worked hard to manage a daily schedule that includes completing my work and also having free time to go out with my friends.” \nWith its numerous activities, the Bloomington campus makes these freshmen feel right at home, said Chris Geary, director of programming and research for Campus Recreational Sports. \nCampus Recreational Sports has given freshmen the opportunity to showcase their talents, whether it be on the hardwood or on the field, while meeting new faces, he said. \n“Students report that they gain numerous benefits from using Recreational Sports facilities,” Geary said. “The SRSC and HPER both include meeting new people, getting or staying in shape and reducing stress.”\nFreshmen said they think the friendships and memories are likely to last a lifetime. \n“I’m always happy when I’m walking through campus, especially this time of year,” freshman Polly Pinelli said. “There’s just something about the trees that makes me feel at home.”