McRobbie goes to China to sign study exchange deal

IU to partner with universities in Asia in business, law, informatics

IU President Michael McRobbie is leading a 10-member delegation to China this week, where he hopes to expand relationships and form partnerships with top Chinese universities. \nIU Director of Media Relations Larry MacIntyre said McRobbie considers the country a key player in world issues.\n“President McRobbie believes that China plays an increasingly important role in the world economy and politics,” he said. “It is a country we need to know more about.”\nIn his first trip abroad since taking the helm at IU in early July, McRobbie and his group plan to visit and meet with officials from East China Normal University in Shanghai, Zhejiang University in Hangzhou and Peking University in Beijing. \nZhejiang University is part of Zhejiang province, which has had a sister-state relationship with Indiana for 20 years, according to an IU press release. \nMcRobbie is expected to sign a new agreement on Wednesday with officials from Zhejiang University, MacIntyre said. The agreement will begin a partnership between the two universities, as well as set up plans to allow for student and faculty exchanges.\n“This will lay the groundwork for a more long-lasting relationship and opportunity for exchanges,” MacIntyre said. “Face-to-face contact is important for personal relationships.”\nThe plan is for two students from IU to go and study for a semester at the law school at Zhejiang, and for two students from Zhejiang to study law for a semester at IU.\nIU School of Law Assistant Dean for International Programs Lesley Davis said that China’s status as a large player in the business world means Americans need to understand more about the Chinese legal system.\nIn addition, IU plans to co-host a symposium on research commercialization with Zhejiang on Nov. 28. \nForming and strengthening the ties between China, as well as other Asian countries, has been a top priority for McRobbie since he took office. \nMcRobbie referred to universities in Asia he wanted to form partnerships with in his inaugural address last month.\n“Study abroad opportunities at such universities will help prepare our students for the global future and will also serve the interests of the state of Indiana,” he said in the address.\nThe trip isn’t McRobbie’s first visit to China; he also led a group there in July 2006, as the interim provost and vice president of academic affairs, MacIntyre said.\nJoining McRobbie on the trip is his wife, Laurie Burns McRobbie, as well as Lauren Robel, dean of the IU School of Law, Bill Stephan, vice president for engagement, Terry Clapacs, vice president and chief administrative officer, Robert Schnabel, dean of the School of Informatics, Patricia McDougall, associate dean of faculty and research at the Kelley School of Business, Shawn Reynolds, University director of international partnerships and strategic initiatives and Rebecca Wood, communications assistant to the president.