Last-word Lounge

What everyone is talking about this WEEKEND

Lawsuits are hot:\n \nApparently having billions at birth isn't enough for Paris Hilton. The tabloid tart sued Hallmark in September for using her picture and the catchphrase "That's hot" in a greeting card. The company recently filed a motion to dismiss, saying Paris has been such an attention whore that she has "subjected herself ... to the parodist's pen." If Paris is hard-up for money, she should just go make another night-vision porn: "One More Night in Paris."

When the WGA strikes:

Members of the Writers Guild of America are on strike now, primarily seeking residuals from original content redistributed through new media. The strike has already halted production of "The Office," "Desperate Housewives" and the late-night talk shows. Expect more shows to follow soon. Many of us writers understand their plight. But damn, we hate reruns.

"Speed Racer"

The Wachowski Brothers are beginning to wrap up filming on their new project: "Speed Racer." That's right, an adaptation of that old cartoon is being filmed in live action starring Emile Hirsch, Christina Ricci, Susan Sarandon and John Goodman. Set to be released May 9, 2008, this project has critics screaming "That's crazy!" Yes. So crazy it might ... just ... work ...

"Major Movie Star"

The trailer for Jessica Simpson's latest movie is out. The story of a recently widowed movie star who has to make her way alone in the world and decides to join the army, "Major Movie Star" looks like a straight-to-DVD rip-off of Goldie Hawn's "Private Benjamin." The only good part of the trailer is Steve Guttenberg. We're glad the Gutt is still getting work.

The Thriller is gone:

Michael Jackson is the cover boy for Ebony magazine's December issue, which hit stands Nov. 12. The issue celebrates the 25th anniversary of Thriller and features Jackson's first interview with a major publication in a decade. We can only hope this is a step in the direction of a comeback and a new album. Can the King of Pop reclaim his title? He can't do any worse than the rest of these clowns.