IU doctors named among America’s best

Book profiles cancer specialists

A group of IU physicians has been named some of the “best in their field” by “America’s Top Doctors for Cancer,” a book published by medical company Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.\nThe doctors, who work at the IU Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center in Indianapolis, were named among the nation’s best doctors for diagnosing and treating various types of cancer in children and adults.\n“The IU Simon Cancer Center strives to excel in patient care and treatment with dedicated physicians who are recognized nationally for their expertise,” said IU School of Medicine Dean D. Craig Brater in an IU press release. “This expertise reflects both our culture and our environment – a culture of always trying to generate new knowledge and apply that to patient care, and an environment of collaboration and team work among all health professionals.”\nThe book profiles more than 2,200 cancer specialists from across the country. The doctors were selected based on criteria including medical education, board certification, academic and other professional titles and personality, among others.\nThe IU doctors included in the book are Dennis Blom, John J. Coleman III, Lawrence H. Einhorn, Robert J. Fallon, Richard S. Foster, Robert J. Goulet Jr., Jay L. Grosfeld, Valerie P. Jackson, Keith D. Lillemoe, Patrick J. Loehrer, Sr., Katherine Look, Scott Shapiro, George W. Sledge Jr., Frederick B. Stehman, Allan Thornton Jr., Thomas M. Ulbright, Terry A. Vik, and Stephen D. Williams.\nThe Simon Cancer Center will open a new outpatient center in 2008.