International students celebrate Thanksgiving

While most students braved traffic jams and delays at airports in order to get home for Thanksgiving, many international students at IU did not have the luxury of flying to their home countries for the break. \nUnable to stay in their dorms for the break, international students had the option to live in McNutt or Eigenmann residence halls during academic recess, according the Office of International Services’ Web site.\nSandy Britton, director of the Dowling International Center, said most international students are paired with local Bloomington families to celebrate the holiday through an organization called Bloomington Worldwide Friendship. \n“The International Center has a weekly electronic newsletter that sends an announcement to international students right before Thanksgiving with contact information for different community groups and families,” Britton said. \nThe students then coordinate with the families and groups for Thanksgiving dinner plans. \n“We aren’t the ones to assign the students to families, though,” she said. “They kind of pick who they share their dinner with.” \nSometimes students do not want to remain in Bloomington for the holiday, Britton said. \n“Thanksgiving is not something they grew up with,” she said. “Many go away, to big cities, because it’s not a big thing for them.” \nIn the past, Britton said the Dowling International Center collaborated with the International Friendship Association for a large Thanksgiving banquet, but it was difficult to make plans for a nice dinner and to have it catered. \n“Logistically, it’s easier to have all the students go to the families in town,” she said. “Most want a family meal to see how families celebrate Thanksgiving.”\nThe togetherness of the holiday is what the international students like, Britton said. \n“They want to be part of the warmth, and to connect with churches and local families,” she said.