Bush: Congress is like 'teenager with a new credit card'

President speaks in New Albany today

James Brosher

UPDATE at 2:30 p.m.

NEW ALBANY, Ind. -- President Bush said Congress is hurting the American people financially in a speech he made today in New Albany, Ind., to local business owners. \nThough his speech focused on reduced spending, cutting taxes and supporting the U.S. military, the President repeatedly chastised Congress for what he said is unnecessary spending.\n“My philosophy is that the American people know how to spend their money better than the government can,” Bush said. \nHe said the Democrat-controlled Congress disagrees with him and it is hurting the American people financially.\n“So far, (Congress is) acting like a teenager with a new credit card,” he said. Bush received applause from the crowd throughout the speech, but he received a standing ovation when he stressed the importance of fully funding the military overseas.\n“I don’t want our kids in uniform to think the President is playing politics with their lives,” he said.\nMike Sodrel, Republican candidate for Indiana’s 9th District, said he was impressed with the President’s speech. \nSodrel said he thought the President touched on all the most important parts of the budget. Sodrel said he was especially impressed with Bush’s figures on reducing the budget deficit, though the national debt remains high.\nJohn Sodrel, Mike Sodrel’s cousin, stood outside during Bush’s speech with a small group of protesters. He said while he does not support the President’s economic policies, Bush’s treatment of the War in Iraq was more important to him.\n“President Bush has been a disaster since day one,” he said.\nBush’s speech lasted a little over 25 minutes, after which the President took time to shake hands with some of the crowd, before being rushed away by the Secret Service. He is scheduled to leave from the Louisville International Airport this afternoon.\nUpdate at 12:00 p.m.

NEW ALBANY, Ind. -- We are waiting for the President to arrive. The hall seats about 500, and all the seats are nearly full – even though the President is not set to speak for another hour. Secret Service agents are stationed near entrances, and local police are present as well. The hall is full of local business leaders, as the speech is being put on by One Southern Indiana, a combined Chamber of Commerce and economic development organization for Clark and Floyd counties, according to the group’s Web site.\nKaren Finlinson is an ambassador for One Southern Indiana, and said she has seen President Bush speak before at Silver Creek High School in Indiana a little over a year ago. She said she is looking forward to hearing the President’s comments on the state of the economy.\n“When you listen to the news, you hear a lot of gloom and doom,” she said. “I hope (President Bush) is going to forecast a brighter future than what I’ve been seeing and hearing.”\nFinlinson’s comments seem consistent with the sentiment of others in attendance.\nAllen Morris is an attorney with Stites & Harbison, which represents One Southern Indiana. He said he is looking for Bush to comment on the future stability of oil prices and what he described as a public perception about problems facing mortgage companies.\nBob Lemmons, whose wife, Niccole is a member of One Southern Indiana, was able to come along as her guest. He owns Hammond & Lemmons Pest Control, and said he is hoping the president talks about health care. Lemmons said he loses employees because he cannot afford a comprehensive health plan, and hopes Bush will talk about the possibility of providing health care for those who cannot afford it.\nPresident Bush is set to speak here in New Albany at 12:35.