Bowl game bidding: Who’s got the Hoosiers?

A win Saturday could mean more than the Hoosiers controlling their own destiny. It might help them control their destination. \nFor the first time in 14 years, the Hoosiers have a chance to be a bowl spectacle, instead of a bowl spectator. Already bowl eligible, a seventh win would make IU’s postseason exclusion unlikely. \nAssuming bowl committees are beholders, in terms of beauty, the Hoosiers are attractive – the football equivalent of Meadow Soprano. Despite not being a Top 25 team, the Hoosiers are nationally recognized. And in the wake of Terry Hoeppner’s passing, IU’s successful season has the tone of a story with a fairy-tale ending. \nIU also has one of the best quarterback-wide receiver duos in the nation in Kellen Lewis and James Hardy. And if the offense fails (let’s hope the game isn’t played at Camp Randall Stadium), the team’s resurgent defense could keep a bowl game competitive. \nIf money were to play a factor in IU’s selection – which, I would venture, might be partially true – a bowl committee might be turned on by IU’s alumni base, which is the third largest in the nation. The guys from Peegs.com, an IU message board should represent a couple thousand fans by themselves. \nAnd while Bloomington residents haven’t exactly been beating down the gates of Memorial Stadium this season, there are people somewhere who want to see the Hoosiers. On the Motor City Bowl’s Web site, the Hoosiers are receiving 55 percent of the 7,400 votes in a poll asking readers which Big Ten team they’d like to see in the game. Motor City Bowl representatives have shown significant interest in the Hoosiers all season and would most likely love the Hoosiers to spend Christmas in Detroit. I think that’s the title of M. Night Shyamalan’s next movie.\nOn a warmer note, I’ve been blinded by the glare of orange coats from Champs Sports Bowl representatives several times this year at Hoosier games. In a similar poll on their Web site, the Hoosiers finished in second place with 22.6 percent of the vote, only trailing a team they’ve actually beaten this season, Iowa, at 29 percent. \nThe third bowl interested in the Hoosiers is the Insight Bowl in Tempe, Ariz. The game is played in Sun Devil Stadium on Dec. 31. Unfortunately for anyone attending, the Barenaked Ladies are headlining their block party, which might kind of sound like a basketball school headlining your bowl game, but completely different.\nWith the exception of Minnesota, every team in the Big Ten is at or above .500 going into this weekend. That means every team in the conference has a realistic shot to be bowl eligible. \nAnd with only seven bowl slots for Big Ten teams, school’s bowl campaigns are as important as ever. However, the logjam could be eased by BCS berths for Ohio State and Michigan. \nIf the Hoosiers are able to win Saturday, their campaign becomes as relevant as Stephen Colbert’s. Not to go Namath on you, but a seventh win would guarantee the Hoosiers a bowl game. IU also has the possibility of picking up a seventh or eighth win against Purdue in the Old Oaken Bucket game on Nov. 17. \nBut before they battle the Boilermakers, the Hoosiers will focus on their last road game of the season against Northwestern. As it stands now, IU is awaiting bowl invitations. With a win or two, they will be the ones throwing the party.

Prediction: Indiana 41, Northwestern 27