Bloomington Playwrights has a new president

Sonja Johnson is fueled by her passion for theater

Courtesy Photo

The Bloomington Playwrights Project recently announced that Sonja Johnson has been elected board president. \nJohnson, previously the development director, has volunteered at the Project since 2001. When the presidential position opened, Johnson seized the opportunity to state the need for change and her desire to become president.\nJohnson worked for IU for more than 30 years as an administrator and decided to retire in 2001. Johnson said she began taking an interest in theater before her retirement and became a regular patron of the local theaters. When her interest became more serious, she branched out and attended other theaters as far away as St. Louis and Chicago.\nJohnson began to realize that she adored theater and told her husband, Keith, that she wanted to become more involved in it. She wanted to become more than just an audience member. Shortly thereafter, a friend of hers coincidentally asked if she would be interested in volunteering at the Project. She gladly accepted.\n“I came in for a few hours a week,” Johnson said. “One day I was there and a utility guy came to the door and put a cancellation of service notice on it. That’s when I thought they needed someone full-time.”\nNot long after she signed on as a part-time volunteer, Johnson became a full-time volunteer. She mostly focused on fundraising efforts for the Project during her time there.\nIn August, David Martin was hired as general manager, which allowed Johnson to reduce some of her duties as a volunteer and express her wish to become president. That same month, Johnson was unanimously elected to become board president.\n“As our former president steps down, I can’t think of anyone who knows the organization better than Sonja,” said Artistic Director Richard Perez. “She’s really proven her abilities.”\nPerez said the Project needed someone with the leadership qualities that could contribute to the rapid growth it is experiencing right now. He believes Johnson is the right person for the job.\nJohnson said becoming president feels great, but it’s not very different. As a volunteer, she worked closely with the board members and regularly gave them reports. She said it is a more difficult job, but she’s not afraid of taking the challenge.\nFor more information about the Bloomington Playwrights Project and upcoming productions, visit www.bloomingtonplays.org.