Terrifying tales: Fact or fiction?

Indiana Memorial Union employees hear disembodied footsteps behind them. The cries of children can be heard in the Career Development Center. \nThe clicking of a \ntypewriter emanates from an empty room in La Casa. \nThese are just some of the ghost stories associated with IU. While many hear these stories and accept them as fact, some wonder whether the stories are based on true stories, and if many can be explained by natural phenomena. \nStudents in both Wright Quad and Read may have heard of the “girl in the yellow dress.” A look into the IU Archives shows inconsistency in the story.\nIn one version, from an October 1984 Indiana Daily Student article, the story of the girl in the yellow dress originated at Wright. In an October 2003 IDS article, however, the girl was murdered by her boyfriend during an argument after a formal in the 1960s. Another IDS article from September 1996 ties a “woman in black” to Wright. \nAssociate Librarian Moira Smith, who works with the folklore section, gave one reason as to why she thinks the stories evolve. \n“Some stories appear because people decide there needs to be a ghost story,” she said. “People have heard enough ghost stories to make them up.” \nAnother specter floating around campus is the “woman in black.” She’s now mostly associated with Wright, but various IDS articles from 1911 through 1921 mention a “lady in black” wandering around as well. In various 1911 IDS articles, a “heavily veiled” woman wearing black was mentioned as following people around. She was even thought to be a burglar in disguise. \nAccording to a February 1921 IDS article, the “lady in black” was captured for peeping in windows. It turned out the woman was mentally impaired.\nSmith said IU’s haunted history isn’t unique. In fact, she said, there’s an American campus folklore section in the Anthropology Library, and more specifically, a series of volumes that focuse solely on haunted campuses. She said another reason for the fascination with ghost stories on college campuses is that they’re exciting.\n“It’s more of a game,” she said, like haunted houses and ghost walks. “It’s got that added sort of thrill.”