Students to rally for Darfur

Symbolic torch to be passed for peace in Sudan

The Beijing 2008 Olympics theme may be “One World, One Dream,” but China has some questions to answer about their involvement with Sudan, said Katie Wolt, a representative of Students Taking Action Now: Darfur.\nThis Sunday, Wolt will lead several members of STAND and Hillel to Indianapolis for the Olympic Dream for Darfur rally, beginning at 2 p.m. at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis’ Pyramid Fountain. \n“The point of the rally is to bring to light China’s involvement with the genocide through their financial ties with Sudan,” Wolt said. “Seventy percent of China’s funds go into the Sudanese military, like guns, vehicles, gasoline and ammunitions used to kill civilians in the Darfur region.” \nThe money China pours into the Sudanese government outweighs the humanitarian aid given to the people of Darfur, Wolt said.\n“China has also used its veto power in the UN to prevent key legislation from being passed and preventing the protection of civilians,” Wolt said. \nWolt said the Beijing Olympics are important leverage for pressuring China to acknowledge the horrific actions and to cease their support of the Sudanese government.\nIn August, a symbolic Olympic torch began traveling around the world, to raise awareness of China’s involvement with the genocide in Darfur. The torch originated in Chad, the African nation currently protecting most of the Darfurian refugees. The torch has already visited areas where previous genocides have occurred, such as Rwanda, Armenia, Bosnia, Germany and Cambodia, according to the Save Darfur Web site. The torch’s journey will end in December in China, Wolt said.\nIbrahim Adam Musa, a Darfur refugee, and Michael Blain, a Holocaust survivor, will speak at the Indianapolis rally, according to the group’s Web site. The event will also feature several music performances, such as African children’s dance troupe, Iibada. \nThe Olympic Dream for Darfur rally is part of Save Darfur’s latest campaign to unite protestors across the country to “remind China of its responsibility to help bring peace to Darfur,” according to the Web site. Similar protests are being staged in Los Angeles, Houston, Miami and New York City.