Reports: Asst. coach resigns from position

IU expected to make the announcement public today

IU men’s basketball assistant coach Rob Senderoff

IU men’s basketball assistant coach Rob Senderoff has resigned his position with the team, according to several media reports late Monday night. An official University announcement is expected today. \nSenderoff was responsible for the majority of at least 45 impermissible phone calls made by the men’s basketball staff, according to a University-issued release on Oct. 14. As a result of those calls, the University sanctioned IU men’s basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and staff. \nThe Indiana Daily Student left a message on Senderoff’s cell phone Monday afternoon. The phone call was not returned by press time.\nSenderoff’s phone message late Monday changed to say he would no longer receive messages left at that number.\nIU spokesman Larry MacIntyre would not confirm the reports Monday that Senderoff would resign. \nAt Big Ten Media Day on Sunday in Chicago, IU men’s basketball coach Kelvin Sampson refused to talk about Senderoff. When asked why Senderoff did not attend an open basketball practice for the men’s basketball team, Sampson said “No, I’m not answering none of those questions. I am not even getting into any of that stuff. We’re dealing with stuff, and I’m going to coach my team.”\nWhen asked what Senderoff’s role had been in practice, Sampson said “I’m not getting into that.”\nMonday, the IU Department of Athletics would not comment about personnel matters.\nSenderoff connected Sampson to at least 10 three-way phone calls with recruits from May 2006 to May 2007. Three-way phone calls are allowed by NCAA rules, but the NCAA-imposed sanctions, which Sampson received for impermissible phone calls he and his staff made while he coached at Oklahoma, barred Sampson from participating in them. Indianapolis law firm Ice Miller conducted an investigation into the three way-calls and the University submitted their report to the NCAA Committee on Infractions.\nIce Miller also investigated at least 35 phone calls made by the men’s basketball staff that were above the limit allowed by the NCAA – a secondary NCAA violation.\nThose findings are still being compiled in a report, which will soon be submitted to the NCAA, MacIntyre said.\nThe University intends to release the findings as soon as possible, he said.\nUnder IU’s self-imposed sanctions for the violations, Senderoff, a key recruiter, is prohibited from traveling off campus for recruiting or making phone calls for recruiting purposes for one year. Senderoff, was scheduled to receive $110,000 in base salary this year and it is unclear if he will receive a severance package.\nSenderoff’s loss could be a big hit on IU’s recruiting front. A New York native, Senderoff has helped IU bridge the gap from Bloomington to the talent-rich east coast. Senderoff was partially credited for helping the Hoosiers land Devin Ebanks, one of the top prospects in the Class of 2008. \nDuring a teleconference with reporters Oct. 14. athletics department officials said the sanctions would stay with the person who fills Senderoff’s position if Senderoff were no longer an IU coach.\nIt is unclear who will replace Senderoff, though Director of Basketball Operations and former IU player Dan Dakich is a likely candidate. \nIU will lose a scholarship for the 2008-2009 season, and Sampson will not receive a scheduled $500,000 raise.\nThe infractions committee and the Big Ten could impose harsher penalties on IU if either deems necessary.