No treats for tricksters

Students share their tales of Halloween pranks and mischief

Smashed pumpkins, missing lawn decorations, corned cars and toilet-papered houses put the "trick" in Halloween's trick-or-treat.\nHalloween has become a time of not only trick-or-treating for children, but practical jokes and pranks for teenagers and young adults, IU Police Department Sgt. Craig Munroe said. However, he said, these pranks can have serious consequences. \n"If you're smashing pumpkins, that becomes disorderly conduct," he said. "But if there's actual damage to property, it's criminal mischief; we're talking about fines and jail time." \nSenior Lainna Cohen said her friend once smashed pumpkins and drew obscene artwork in black permanent marker all over another person's vehicle. Then, to top it off, Cohen's friend shot fireworks at that person's house.\nIronically, Munroe said, the department does not get more vandalism calls than usual around Halloween. In 2005, there were five cases of vandalism total reported Oct. 30 and 31, and in 2006 only one case was reported for both days. \n"There really are so many different factors that contribute, though: Was there alcohol or drugs involved? Was someone trying to defend their pumpkin so a fight broke out? It's hard to tell," Munroe said. \nSenior Chris Mechell said he thinks it's funny when people dress up as scarecrows and hang out on porches to scare trick-or-treaters. \n"Jumping out at them is hilarious," he said. \nJunior Melia White once pulled a prank of her own in order to scare a neighbor who had a vicious dog. \n"I filled a baggie with corn syrup and red food coloring to look like blood, then squirted some on my wrist and arm. I covered it with a paper towel, ran over to my neighbors and kept pushing the baggie so more blood would squirt out. She freaked out! It was a good time," she said.\nBloomington Police Department Officer Jerry Arthur said that a prank is technically vandalism only when permanent damage is done.\n"When something is able to be cleaned off, that doesn't count. It gives the courts wiggle room," said Arthur. \nBut Halloween pranks could amount to jail time or misdemeanor charges, depending on the crime.