Leave reality TV alone!

American entertainment has officially hit an all-time low. We have kids running a colony and people attempting to prove they are smarter than a fifth grader. Reality TV has caused the industry to take a real nosedive. \nChris Crocker, the 19-year-old who is famous for his YouTube rant telling the haters to “Leave Britney Alone!” reportedly signed a deal to star in his own reality TV show.\nSeriously? \nWe’ve stooped that low? We’ve got no better show ideas to throw out right now? We have to give some no-talent kid his OWN reality TV show?\nVariety reported that he will star in a “docusoap” centered around him, calling him “a rebel character that people will find interesting.”\nFirst off, who the hell came up with the name “docusoap,” and why the hell would I ever want to watch a combination of a documentary and a soap? I can’t even watch a documentary or a soap by itself, let alone a combination of the two.\nSecond, why the hell is some idiot kid who is only famous for looking ridiculous on the Internet getting rich? We already gave William Hung, the American Idol reject who ended up with his own CD of himself butchering famous songs, a chance to expand his 15 minutes of fame to a whopping 20 minutes of fame. Of course, like an idiot, I bought Hung’s CD. But at least Hung had an accent that made “Hotel California” sound priceless. What does Crocker have – some tears and a screeching cry?\nFinally, how many shenanigans can one kid put up? How many rants can one kid produce? Does he have the creativity to piss and moan about celebrity news for an entire TV season? \nThe first thing I was told when I became a columnist is that the first two column ideas are the easiest. After the first two, it takes true creativity and insight to keep coming up with opinions. If the celebrities don’t keep doing stupid stuff, he will have nothing and will be out of a job – which means I could be out of a job too ... except that only my mom reads my columns anyway. I could write about grass growing and I’d only get one phone call asking why.\nEither way, I really hope this show ends up being interesting, because I personally think the idea is ridiculous and is taking our society down a road already well-traveled. We have enough reality TV on the tube right now, and adding a “docusoap” is not the solution. \nBy adding shows like this to a lineup, many good shows are put even more in jeopardy. We could lose a good show like “Friday Night Lights” because American society can’t handle watching a well-scripted show and would rather watch a “docusoap” about a kid who is defending Britney Spears’ missteps. \nBecause of this nonsense, I am boycotting TV ... at least until the season premiere of South Park Wednesday.