IUSA to hold symposium on Congress problems

Official: Not enough representatives showing up to meetings

The IU Student Association will be holding a “Symposium on the Future of Student Governance” this Saturday at the Indiana Memorial Union, which will focus on and discuss how effective the student organization performs as a whole.\nThe symposium – the first of its kind at IU – will be an internal review on IUSA and a discussion about the future of student government and student organizations at IU, and what the organization might able to do with its future involvement on campus. \n“Organizations, faculty, administrations and students are all welcome to attend,” said IUSA Chief of Staff Matt Jarson. “We’ve cast a pretty big net in trying to get as much input as we can. This is a first so we’re hoping for good things.” \nThe focal point of the symposium will be long-standing issues that have plagued the IUSA congress. \n“We’ve reached a point with IUSA where we’re having a difficulty with attendance at congress,” said IUSA President W.T. Wright. “Anyone who is showing any interest or looking to get involved is welcome to come and voice your opinion.” \nAt the symposium, a panel discussion will take place with IU Provost Karen Hanson, Dean of Students Dick McKaig and IU Graduate and Professional Student Organization Moderator Paul Rohwer. \n“We’re going to pose several questions to get a historical background and ask questions to see what has and hasn’t worked in the past,” Jarson said. “In the end we’re hoping for a list of recommendations.” \nThe symposium will take place from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday in the Frangipani Room at the IMU.