IUNotes.com hopes to expand across Big Ten

Web site offers notes for 50-plus school subjects

IUNotes.com, a popular Web site created by three juniors, is expanding its services to the University of Maryland, University of Wisconsin and eventually the entire Big Ten.\nThe Web site, which is less than a year old, offers notes for more than 50 subjects that students can purchase online. After seeing immense success at IU, owners Michael Rubin, Michael Kurlancheek and Adam Butbul decided to expand the Web site to other schools. \n“We’ve already bought the names for the other schools,” Butbul said. “We have the URLs; we just have to talk to people to run the Web sites.” \nThe three Hoosiers will still be the heads of the Web site but need individuals at each school to help successfully run the business. The business pays students to take notes during class, and then posts the notes online. Note takers are paid by semester and usually make more than $100 per semester, Rubin said. Notes can be purchased for varying prices and include review packets for midterms and finals. \nAfter expansions to University of Maryland and the University of Wisconsin are complete, the trio hopes to expand to Illinois and all schools in the Big Ten. Ultimately, the Web site will be available to students enrolled in colleges across the country. \n“Our goal is just to expand our educational outreach nationwide,” Butbul said. \nCredit for the idea of the Web site goes to Rubin, who first came up with the plan over winter break last year. When the three friends returned to school in January, Rubin pitched his idea and they bought the Web site rights later that night. \n“We seriously bought the Web site like 30 minutes later. We were up until like eight in the morning working on it,” Rubin said. \nThe IU branch of the Web site still has a long way to go before it is complete, the three said. They hope to continue to build the IU database, with notes for every class in the business school by the end of the year. Creating I-CORE notes and increasing advertising are also goals. \nOnly Kurlancheek is a business major. The Web site’s sales have proved worth the time and effort, though, as the three have already made back more than the amount of money they invested. All financing and advertising has been personally financed by the three friends.