IU student arrested in charges related to Sunday's shooting

Man faces battery, gun charges

An IU student was arrested Monday evening in connection with the shooting that occurred this weekend at the Econo Lodge, which sent one man to the hospital.\nAntoine A. Sims, 21, a criminal justice major, faces preliminary charges of aggravated battery and criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon. Sims is listed in the IU address book as an Residential Programs and Services employee but has not received a pay check since Aug. 31, a representative from RPS said. The representative could not verify whether Sims was still an employee.\nTwo other men, Ernest W. Holifield, 21, and Montez L. Sanders, 21, were arrested in connection with the shooting Sunday and each face preliminary charges of assisting a criminal.\nSims turned himself into the Bloomington Police Department late Monday night, said BPD Sgt. Jeff Canada, reading from a police report. He was taken into the investigation room by Officer Matt Gilmore, who read him his rights and took him into custody.\nAt about 2:50 a.m. Sunday, BPD officers were dispatched to the parking lot of the Econo Lodge, located at 2601 N. Walnut St., after witnesses say they saw Sims fire several shots into the air, Capt. Joe Qualters said, reading from a police report.\nPolice said Sims also fired one shot at a silver Honda Accord before firing another shot into the crowd, striking a man. Sims left in a vehicle with Holifield and Sanders, Qualters said. The victim was taken to Bloomington Hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg, Qualters said.\nMonroe County Sheriff’s Department officers arrested Holifield and Sanders at a BP gas station, where the officers also found a handgun in a trash can.\nBPD Det. Marty Deckard is still investigating the case.