IU: More recruiting violations possible

Sampson might have been involved in 8 more 3-way calls

IDS File Photo
Kelvin Sampson looks on during the Hoosier's 58-66 loss to the Michigan State Spartans on Saturday, Feb. 24, 2007.

IU men’s basketball coach Kelvin Sampson might have participated in eight three-way phone calls more than originally disclosed by the IU Athletics Department, said IU spokesman \nLarry MacIntyre. \nThe University announced Sunday that Sampson participated in 10 three-way phone calls with prospective recruits – a violation of NCAA-imposed sanctions Sampson received for impermissible phone calls he and his staff made while Sampson was coach at Oklahoma.\nIndianapolis law firm Ice Miller’s report submitted to the NCAA Committee on Infractions acknowledges eight additional three-way phone calls in which Sampson was a participant, said MacIntyre, citing the report. It is unclear whether those eight phone calls constitute a violation because the University and Ice Miller were unable to determine if a connection was made or if the recipients of the calls were prospective recruits, MacIntyre said.\n“They weren’t able to determine in every single instance what happened,” MacIntyre said. \nJ.D. Campbell, director of media relations for the Athletics Department, declined \nto comment. \nThe phone calls were included in the Ice Miller report because they may constitute NCAA violations or violations of Sampson’s sanctions. The infractions committee will make that determination, MacIntyre said. \nAfter an intern in the office of compliance discovered evidence suggesting possible infractions in July, IU Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan commissioned the Collegiate Sports Practice of Ice Miller to conduct a thorough investigation into the matter. \nIn looking through thousands of phone calls made by assistant coaches, Ice Miller focused on more than 100 calls which might be in violation of NCAA bylaws or Sampson’s sanctions. Ten of those phone calls were the three-way phone calls involving Sampson, violating the coach’s sanctions. Thirty-five others were in excess of the limit allowed by \nNCAA bylaws. \nAccording to MacIntyre, there are still dozens more included in the report for the NCAA’s review that might or might not constitute violations and were included in the report. Like the additional eight three-way phone calls, it is unclear whether the calls in question were made to recruits. Many of the calls are less than a minute, which might indicate the call never connected, MacIntyre said.\nIU will lose one scholarship from the men’s basketball team for the 2008-09 season as a self-imposed punishment for the violations.\nIU also imposed sanctions against Sampson and assistant coach Rob Senderoff for their roles in the impermissible phone calls. Sampson will not receive a scheduled $500,000 raise this year. Senderoff is prohibited from traveling off-campus for recruiting and is prohibited from making recruiting phone calls. Senderoff will not receive any salary bonus. He is scheduled to receive $110,000 in base salary this year, according to IU’s Financial \nManagement Services. \nBruce Jaffee, Athletics Committee faculty representative, said the committee discussed the penalties six to eight weeks before the University’s announcement. \n“There’s a lot of hall talk,” Jaffee said. “No one is happy with the situation. … I stand by the decision as based on our review with looking at options and the totality of the circumstances. I support the decisions and the self-imposed penalties by IU.”\nThe NCAA could impose stricter sanctions after reviewing the Ice Miller report. \nJaffee said it is difficult to discuss the University’s self-imposed sanctions before the NCAA ruling. \n“It’s kind of awkward to be talking about the test before you get your grade back,” he said.\nJaffee did not want to discuss what actions the Athletics Committee would take if the NCAA imposed stricter sanctions. \n“We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,” he said.\nThere is no timetable for the NCAA’s ruling, NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn told the Indiana Daily \nStudent Tuesday.