IU downs No. 6 Northwestern 1-0

Hoosiers improve to 3-0 in Big Ten on Daniel Kelly’s winning goal

With the Big Ten season winding down and the conference tournament quickly approaching, every game counts – especially if an opponent is threatening to steal the title. \nThe No. 13 IU men’s soccer team (8-4-1, 3-0-0) took on the No. 6 Northwestern Wildcats on Sunday in Evanston, Ill., defeating them 1-0 in a game that helped IU maintain its top standing in the conference. The Wildcats are currently second behind the Hoosiers.\n“Anytime you beat a No. 6 team in the country, it’s a good win,” IU coach Mike Freitag said. “I’m never satisfied (with how the team plays), but we looked good today.”\nAlthough it is second in the Big Ten, Northwestern leads the conference in goals scored so far this season, averaging 2.27 a game. The team is only allowing .45 goals to competitors. \nStatistically, the Hoosiers sit just under Northwestern, averaging 1.5 goals a game while allowing opponents one goal per game. \nThe lone goal was scored by freshman midfielder Daniel Kelly, who had to battle his way through the Wildcats’ tough defense.\n“They always come hard,” Kelly said. “They like to fight. We knew we had to match their intensity, and we did.”\nJunior goalkeeper Chay Cain notched his fifth shutout of the season, tallying four saves.\nThe IU men’s team captured the Big Ten regular season and conference titles last year and was predicted to take it again this year. However, the Wildcats have been gaining momentum as the season has progressed, playing the role of unexpected challenger in the Hoosiers’ run for another Big Ten title. \nAlthough there was a lot riding on Sunday’s game, sophomore defender Kevin Alston said the team wasn’t concerned with the rankings and looks forward to big games like this one.\n“These are the games you want,” Alston said. “They put you in big situations to make big moves. It’s exciting.”