IU club baseball wraps up dominant fall this weekend

The IU club baseball team’s fall exhibition season will conclude this weekend with home games against Michigan on Saturday and Sunday. In the program’s third year of existence, the Hoosiers have been dominant in the fall, posting a record of 13-1, and look forward to continued dominance in the spring. \nAfter going 20-4 and finishing 16th in the nation last spring, the Hoosiers’ season ended on a sour note last year when they were knocked out of postseason contention by Illinois in a three-game series. The Illini went on to have a successful playoff run, culminating in a trip to the National Club Baseball Association World Series, while the Hoosiers were sent home with a bitter taste in their mouths. \nTheir first chance at revenge came the weekend of Oct. 14 when IU traveled to Jasper, Ind., for the Great Lakes Region Fall Tournament, an exhibition tournament featuring none other than the sixth-ranked Fighting Illini. The Hoosiers took care of business immediately, knocking off Illinois in the tournament opener behind a solid pitching performance from sophomore Bryant Gastineau and a go-ahead home run in the bottom half of the sixth inning from junior Josh Tulledge. \nThe next day, IU destroyed Wisconsin-Whitewater 15-2 in the first half of a day-night doubleheader, and followed up that performance with a 3-2 win over Ohio University to earn a spot in the tournament championship – a rematch against Illinois. The game proved to be a pitching duel fueled on the Hoosier side by seven shutout innings from sophomore Bret Jensen. It was then that IU got the only offensive production they needed. After Tulledge reached base on a leadoff walk, freshman Britt Myers connected for the Hoosiers’ only hit, a walkoff double, stripping the tournament title from the defending champions.\nThe club followed the strong tournament showing with a sweep of Western Michigan on Friday and Saturday. IU’s fall success sends the team into the winter on the right foot, but by no means are the Hoosiers the division favorite. That title is still reserved for Illinois. \n“They’ve still got the target on their back,” said senior catcher Matt Ostrega. “They won it last year, and they’re going to come out hungry.” \nAt least one thing is certain for this young program: It has some quality new and returning talent to aid it in the quest for a postseason berth, including Ostrega, who founded the club two years ago, and defending Regional Pitcher of the Year, Gastineau. Ostrega said he expects big things from newcomers Myers and Michael Mezansky, both freshmen, as well as returning veterans Tulledge and junior pitcher Jacob Redmond.\nOstrega also singled out sophomore Jake Wunderlin, who has had a big bat this fall.\n“Wunderlin has been a monster. Our coach doesn’t want us to get too high on stats this early, but if I had to guess, I’d say he’s batting around .500 for the fall,” Ostrega said.\nFinishing the year strong will be key for the club come spring. After a 14-0 start last season, IU dropped 3 of the final 4 games. The Illini, responsible for two of those three losses, will no doubt be circled on the Hoosiers’ calendar. But the monkey is already halfway off their back. \n“It was only exhibition, but beating them definitely gives us confidence.” Ostrega said. “We know we can compete with anyone.”