Group to sponsor debate about Ron Paul

Ron Paul supporters and critics – as well as those just curious about him – will come together for a political debate about the 2008 Republican presidential hopeful from 7 to 10:30 p.m. today at a local restaurant.\nThe event, “Ron Paul: Love Him or Hate Him,” will be held at Max’s Place, located at 109 W. Seventh St. Though Max’s Place is usually closed on Mondays, the pizza restaurant will open its doors to invite people of all ages to the event. Doors open at 6 p.m., and music starts at 7 p.m. Four bands will perform, including local group Radio Friendly: Songs by American Pirates. In addition to the musical entertainment, videos about the Congressman, as well as speeches and literature, will be provided in order to encourage discussion. \n“I don’t think a lot of people know about Paul because he is not exactly a front-runner of the Republican candidates, but a lot of people in America, especially young people, would really like his ideas,” said Elli Travis, one of the grassroots organizers for IU Students for Ron Paul. “People need to be informed about the candidates in order to make an informed choice.”\nThe event was planned by a group of Bloomington residents who support Paul and IU Students for Ron Paul, which has been working to spread awareness about the candidate around campus and the city.\n“Our candidate is unique, our event is unique, with both music and political debate, and the fact that a student group has organized it is unique,” said Andrew Sharpe, president of IU Students for Ron Paul.\nThe student group, which meets at 7 p.m. every Thursday in the Indiana Memorial Union’s Redbud Room, has yet to sponsor an event as large as today’s. Members said they are eager for students – whether they love Paul, hate him or know nothing about him – to come together to discuss and learn more about him. \n“People should come out because it’s just one more event where they can have their voices heard and hang out with people who actually care about the election,” Sharpe said. “Meeting other people, talking to them and finding out how they heard about Ron Paul, how they got interested in him and what they’ve been doing (is enjoyable). You meet some really interesting people and have some awesome conversations.”