Experts weigh in on drastic changes in Halloween costume culture

EUGENE, Ore. – Sexy female costumes have become synonymous with Halloween, providing a day for women to unleash their inner vixens while clad in costumes. Naughty nurses, provocative pirates and seductive sailors permeate the contemporary costume market. \nThe degree of sexuality echoed by thousands of erotically-dressed women this Halloween makes some experts question its mirroring of society and the meaning of the holiday. Some deem the holiday a cultural vehicle for people to explore their alter-egos and fantasies, while others maintain dressing up is just in the Halloween spirit.\n“When you look at people’s sexual fantasies, they are very taboo,” said MiraCosta College Provost Sally Foster, who claims that women act out their otherwise culturally unacceptable fantasies in costume.\nCostumes express a person’s alter-ego coupled with a “bad girl” element, she said. \n“Our day personas don’t allow full expression of all our creative urges,” Foster said, noting how on Halloween people have the “license to be whatever (they) want to be.”\nHolly Putnam, Associated Students of the University of Oregon Women’s Center’s public relations coordinator, said society’s obsession with sexuality makes risky costumes popular. \nGabriela Martinez, a University of Oregon assistant professor who explores topics like women and media, blamed advertising for establishing the idea that women should look sexy.\nMany cultures have a holiday to celebrate the art of masquerade, such as Italy’s Carnevale, but America has found a way to capitalize on women’s fantasies, reinforcing sexism, Martinez said. \nFoster further suggested that the holiday reflects the advancement of societal double standards. \n“Because there is more an injunction on women to not be that bad, naughty girl, that’s what comes out,” she said. “We think we are this really liberated gender, but these costumes and these behaviors tell us something different.” \nIt’s important to address who women dress up for on the holiday, Putnam said. \n“If they’re dressing for themselves then it could be a really good declaration of sexual power and comfort with their body,” she said. “But it’s almost just as possible that some women don naughty outfits because they are feeding into the image of female sexuality.” \nSome students believe the costumes are in good fun. Sophomore Christine Regnier attended a Halloween party a few nights ago as a 1980s rocker chic.\n“It looked sexy, but it wasn’t revealing,” she said. \nThough Regnier agreed that sometimes women’s costumes can look trashy, she doesn’t dress up to impress men – it’s a girl thing, she said. \n“I do it for my girlfriends ... I’m not necessarily trying to attract a guy’s attention.”