Counsel from camp

It’s one great week.\nNo, it is not Little 500 week. It’s not Welcome week. It is not the week of Hanukkah or the first week of summer. It’s not even a full week. Rather, it is five great days, and it happens in a little place called Morgantown.\nThis is the week of camp for all the people involved with Camp Kesem – a free, week-long camp for kids whose parents have or have had cancer. It is a week away from the difficulties at home, and it gives these kids a chance to be just that: kids.\nBefore I came to IU, I heard how great this program was. Camp had just finished its inaugural year, and the stories about these strong yet funny kids kept piling up. People told me I just had to get involved.\nBeing a naive freshman, I was more caught up in all the debauchery being thrown my way than worrying about a few kids. I didn’t want to work at a camp. I didn’t even like camp when I was little. Why would I like it now?\nDespite my hesitation, I decided to become a counselor. I figured I could sacrifice a week of my summer for a greater cause.\nThat turned out to be the best decision I’ve made at IU. \nCamp ended up being one of the greatest experiences of my life. In the fast-paced life that we live in, I was able to slow down and act like a kid. I was able to throw away my worries about reputation and self respect and participate in activities that would get you beat up if you did them at Kilroy’s. \nBut camp isn’t even about me. Camp is about the kids.\nCamp gives these kids an outlet to express their feelings. It shows these kids they are not alone, that there are other kids going through the same hardships. But more importantly, it lets these kids act like kids for a week. \nThe strength and knowledge of these kids is unbelievable. Hearing a 6-year-old talk about chemotherapy is truly amazing. When I was 6, I barely understood what cancer was, let alone ways to help fight it.\nHearing stories from parents about how much these kids talk about camp and how much camp has meant to their family still brings a smile to my face. Who would have thought doing such a little thing could make such a big difference?\nMy columns rarely have a serious theme. I usually write about nonsense to amuse everyone here on campus.\nBut today, I write to you a serious plea. Take time to be part of something bigger than yourself. Whether it is “dancing” for 36 hours straight or donating your time by being a camp counselor, every bit helps. Something simple can affect the lives of so many.\nBut don’t do it for yourself. Do it for the kids. Because – like our shirts say – little kids can’t go to Kilroy’s.