Campus greek houses to give off ‘Crimson Glow’ for Homecoming week

Student Alumni Association gives each group 2 strands

Nothing is better associated with Hoosier pride than the color crimson. To show off IU pride all day and night during Homecoming week, the campus has been lit up with crimson-colored lights. \nCalled the “Crimson Glow,” this decorative display of school spirit hopes to illuminate the campus in a crimson hue.\nThe Student Alumni Association purchased strands of red lights for each greek house on Third Street and Jordan Avenue. At $3 a strand for the lights, this glowing display cost about $450, which was funded through the Alumni Association’s homecoming budget, said Erin Datteri, a graduate assistant at the Alumni Association.\nThere was no cost to the greek houses to participate in this display of school spirit, said Kim Lindsay, a representative for the Student Alumni Association.\nIt was up to each house to put its own lights up. Each was given two strands of lights, and after that, they had to get creative, Lindsay said.\n“We know the houses do have Christmas lights,” Lindsay said, “but are they actually going to put them up? Because it’s kind of a hassle.”\nThe greek houses were asked to hang the lights on Monday, the beginning of Homecoming week, said Phillip Blomeke, president of the Student Alumni Association. The plan is for the lights to remain up for the duration of the week until the game. \nBecause Third Street will be host to the Homecoming parade, the idea is that the lights decorating the houses will add even more Hoosier spirit to the festivities.\n“That’s the idea, to show your pride,” Blomeke said.\nThe lights can also be seen as a way to unify the greeks and the alumni in supporting IU spirit. \n“This is the one time when the whole greek community can come together,” said Colin Nabity, president of Alpha Tau Omega. \nAndrew Howerton, president of Theta Chi, said his house chose to hang the lights as a display to “welcome alumni back into the frat (in which) they once lived.”\nAlthough lights have only been purchased for the greek houses, any house or dorm is welcome to show its pride by hanging lights as well.\n“We would love anyone to participate,” Datteri said.