'Big day coming'

In preparation for Yo La Tengo's Bloomington concert Wednesday, WEEKEND reviewer Brian J. McFillen brings you up to speed

Like the name of one of Yo La Tengo's songs, the band has a "Big Day Coming" with their upcoming Bloomington show.

Yo La Tengo has a reputation as a critics' band -- a band beloved by only a small, intense cult of music geeks. Let's change that.\nOn Oct. 10, they will perform a special, mostly acoustic "storytelling" show at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. And you should be there. Not because it will better your musical taste or earn you indie cred, but because Yo La Tengo's music is too good to stay the province of an elite few.\nBut what if you're not one of the aforementioned music geeks? What if you're not familiar with Yo La Tengo? Doesn't matter. Let this brief primer serve as your gateway.

Who is Yo La Tengo?\nFormed in Hoboken, N.J., in 1984, Yo La Tengo is comprised of husband-and-wife founders Ira Kaplan (vocals, guitar) and Georgia Hubley (vocals, drums) as well as James McNew, the band's bassist for the past 15 years. \nThe band's catalogue thus far consists of 12 albums and four compilations. They portrayed The Velvet Underground in the film "I Shot Andy Warhol" and did the soundtrack music for the films "Junebug," "Game 6," "Old Joy," "Shortbus" and for the undersea documentaries of Jean Painlevé. They also contributed the psychedelic version of "The Simpsons" theme song for the episode in which Homer tries to become a hippie. Their annual benefit concerts for independent New Jersey radio station WFMU, during which they try (gamely) to cover anything donors request, have also gained them some attention, as have their generally annual (except for last year) eight-night Hanukkah performances at the Hoboken rock club Maxwell's.

Why 'Yo La Tengo?'\nThe band's name (Spanish for "I have it") is what 1962 Mets outfielder Richie Ashburn used to shout to try to avoid running into Spanish-speaking Venezuelan teammate Elio Chacon. As the story goes, however, no sooner had Ashburn started using the Spanish phrase than he collided with fellow-outfielder Frank Thomas, who asked why he was yelling about a "Yellow Tango."

Why should you get to know them?\n"Yo La Tengo are what I'd call a classic indie rock band -- and one of the best rock bands to emerge when they did ... " said Jason Nickey, co-owner of Landlocked Music, who further noted that the band, nevertheless, remains unique in the genre. "They're just in the DNA of what's come to be called indie rock. Deep down there. So widespread it's not that noticeable." \nA recurring pattern in Yo La Tengo's music has been the combination of '60s-style pop melodies with layers of hazy guitar distortion and sedate vocals. But they also have plenty of songs that buck this trend, an eclecticism that has kept their sound fresh despite 23 years of performing.\n"I can't think of many other American bands of their era that have aged as well," said Nickey. "Sonic Youth, I suppose, but not many others. Really, I don't think they've made a bad album."

So, how can you get into them?\nAnswers vary. I'd say one of the easiest routes is via the band's 2005 best-of collection Prisoners Of Love. \nAs for albums, after noting that Yo La Tengo has undergone "quiet" and "noisy" periods, Nickey recommended 1995's Electr-O-Pura or 1997's I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One (both relatively noisy).\nAs for quieter Yo La Tengo, WIUX DJ and IU sophomore Amber Hansen recommended And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out.\n"I essentially fell in love with that album because of its low-key flow and unique dynamic," she said. "I have yet to find anything else that touches me quite the way that album does. It's not my favorite album, but it's definitely one of my favorites."\nRegardless of which songs Yo La Tengo pulls out of its extensive catalog, this Wednesday's show promises to be a memorable event if it's anything like one of the band's previous Bloomington shows.\nHeath Byers, Landlocked Music's other owner, recalled a surprise visit Yo La Tengo made to WIUS's (now WIUX's) Culture Shock Festival more than a decade ago.\n"It was rainy and the turnout was low," he said, "but Yo La Tengo showed up and performed an impromptu, unannounced acoustic set during a downpour (there was a makeshift roof over the stage). They weren't scheduled to play, they didn't get paid; they just wanted to play"