Monday, June 17

$1M will fund new sex research center

A $1 million grant given to sexual health researchers has provided them an opportunity to greatly expand their work through the development of the new IU Center for Sexual Health Promotion.\nThe Patty Brisben Foundation, a nonprofit organization that works to benefit women and sexual health, awarded the grant to the Sexual Health Research Working Group, created by Michael Reece, associate professor of applied health science and the group’s director. The Center will be given space in the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation.\n“It was very exciting because it’s taken what we’ve been doing together for a while to a whole new level,” said Brian Dodge, associate director for the center. “It is part of an evolutionary process towards broadening the scope and really keeping IU on the map as sort of the place to do work related to sexual health.”\nThe Sexual Health Research Working Group, which Reece founded five years ago, works to advance the field of sexual health through research, education and training initiatives, according to its Web site. The group has six core research areas, including innovative venues and tools for sexual health promotion, women’s sexual health, men’s sexual health, psychological health and care seeking following HIV or STI diagnosis, strengthening theoretical and conceptual approaches to sexual health research and international sexual health research. The group also offers various opportunities for students to learn more about sexual health, like a seminar set to take place Nov. 29 titled “Black Bisexual Men and HIV: Time to Think Deeper.” \nDodge said the new center will become not only a physical space where researchers involved in sexual health can come to work, but it will provide a place for researchers from all over to come together and share ideas. He also said the development of the center will make it easier for the Sexual Health Research Program to gain support, grants and contracts.\n“Our goal with this center is for it to be a unifying place, where people who are interested in sexual health research and training can collaborate,” Dodge said. “It is also one of the first centers of its kind that is at a university focusing specifically on sexual health issues.”\nThe center will officially open Oct. 22, when it hosts the 2007 Sexual Health Summit. Dodge said the summit will bring together leaders from various organizations to discuss and debate the current standing of sexual health in Indiana and to set goals and make plans for the future of sexual health education and research.\nThe grant will last from 2007 to 2013, and is part of a collective $1.3 million that the Patty Brisben Foundation has given IU since 2004.\n“At IUB we have a very strong tradition now in sexuality related work,” said Stephanie Sanders, associate director of The Kinsey Institute. “This is just a reflection of this growth. It strengthens this campus for a center for this growth.”\nWhile researchers await the center’s official opening, Dodge said many are eager for the opportunities it will provide.\n“Overall, it’s a very exciting time for us, but also for other people who are involved and who have been involved in sexual health researching here at IU and all over,” Dodge said. “Hopefully, the center is going to help facilitate partnerships and collaborations that before wouldn’t be possible.”\nFor more information on the Center for Sexual Health Promotion or the Sexual Health Summit, visit the Center’s Web site at www.sexualhealth.indiana.edu.