Soul Food Festival to feature good eats, music and health care booth

Georgia Perry

On Saturday, the Bloomington Black Business and Professionals Association, Inc. will host its 11th annual Soul Food Festival at Karst Farm Park on Bloomington’s west side.\n“The festival is being held to expose the general community to the African-American community in Bloomington,” said Elizabeth Mitchell, the Soul Food Festival chair.\nBBBPA is co-sponsoring the event along with Ivy Tech Community College, Karst Farm Park and the Monroe County Parks and Recreation Department. Free entertainment featuring DJ Toe Toe, the Arlington High School Drum Line and the local dance troupe Couzins in Motions will be provided throughout the day. Five restaurants from across Indiana will be selling soul food.\n“People should come and take advantage of the delicious foods, like fried catfish, perch, ribs, fried green tomatoes, collard greens, sweet potatoes and many desserts,” Mitchell said.\nLocal organizations including Kip May Photography, the IU African-American Arts Institute, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. will have booths at the festival to sell products or disseminate information. The Bloomington Fire and Police Departments will also have booths at the site.\n“The police are going to let children have their fingerprints taken at the police booth and then give them to their parents to take home,” Mitchell said.\nIn addition to the commercial and municipal booths, the Bloomington Hospital is sponsoring 10 health care booths, which will offer free health assessments from noon to 3 p.m.\nThe festival is open to the community from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Karst Farm Park, 2450 S. Endwright Road.\n“This is a free event for all ages and the entire community,” Mitchell said. “Anyone who comes can expect to be treated to a reunion type atmosphere in a beautiful park.”