Latinos Unidos aims to raise profile of Hispanic students

Group celebrates tradition, philanthropy

Fiestas, cultura y comida – festivals, culture and food – all are parts of one of the oldest Latino culture groups on campus, Latinos Unidos of IU. The group is seeking interested students who are willing to learn and participate in Latino tradition and philanthropy at IU, said the group’s president Marisol Arellano. \nLatinos Unidos plans to hold its first meeting at 6:30 p.m. tonight at La Casa, the Latino Cultural Center, to discuss upcoming events and ways to become involved on campus. \nLatinos Unidos of IU is an organization that works closely with other Latino groups in order to ensure the voice of the Latino community is heard, Arellano said. \nThe group, which began in 1979, boasts about 60 members and aims for social and cultural growth within the campus \nand community. \n“We are involved in philanthropy and planning of cultural and social events,” Arellano said. “(Some) events include Dia de la Raza, our Valentine’s Day Date Auction and SportsFest.” \nDia de la Raza commemorates the day Christopher Columbus first set foot in the New World. Every year on Oct.12, the Latino community celebrates this encounter to memorialize the contributions and influences of the Europeans in the Americas, Arellano said. Students will be treated to cultural and historical presentations, as well as ethnic food. \nLatinos Unidos of IU also coordinates several social events throughout the year. They offer study tables to provide stress relief to students during midterms and finals, Arellano said. \nMembers of Latinos Unidos are also given the opportunity to attend cultural and educational conferences, help with fundraisers and vote during annual gatherings. \nThe call-out meeting and group itself are open to all IU students and faculty members interested in Latino culture. Students with questions may forward inquiries to Arellano by e-mail at luiu@indiana.edu.