IU finishes 3rd at Wolf Run tourney

The IU men’s golf team shot its way to a third place finish at the Wolf Run Intercollegiate tournament this past weekend. \nHosted by the Hoosiers, the 15-team tournament took place at the Wolf Run Golf Club in Zionsville, Ind. The only two teams to finish ahead of Indiana at the par 71 course were Big Ten counterparts Penn State and Michigan.\nPenn State won the tournament with rounds of 292-284-286, posting a three-round total of 862. Michigan finished six shots behind, with a three-round total of 868, and the Hoosiers, with rounds of 287-286-296, finished one stroke back from the Wolverines.\nIU found itself in second place after day one of the tournament with 18 holes remaining. Unfortunately for the Hoosiers, their final round Sunday morning was the worst of their three rounds by a total of nine strokes and caused them to slip one position to third. \nJuniors Seth Brandon and Jorge Campillo both played well throughout the weekend tournament. \nIndividually, Brandon took home second place honors, posting rounds of 68-69-75. His three-round total of 212 was one under par for the course. Brandon finished just two strokes behind the tournament’s individual winner, Michigan’s Nick Pumford. \nCampillo finished fifth overall, and bounced back from a rough second round 76 with a final round 70 on Sunday morning. \nRounding out the rest of the Hoosiers’ starting five, sophomore Alex Martin finished in a tie for 24th, junior Drew Allenspach finished in a tie for 29th and senior Tad Sacheck finished in a tie for 50th. \nIU heads to Chicago next weekend to compete in the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational.