IU field hockey focused for upset of Iowa

IU looking for season’s first Big Ten victory

Chris Pickrell

When the IU field hockey team travels to Iowa City to take on Iowa on Sunday, they will have an opportunity to get their first Big Ten win over one of the top teams in the country. \nA week after losing their Big Ten opener to Ohio State 2-1, the Hoosiers (5-4) are focused and ready to head into a matchup with the No. 6 Hawkeyes. \n“We only have one game all week,” IU coach Amy Robertson said. “I think that should be an advantage for us. We feel fresher and have had a chance to rest and rebuild our fitness. We’ve had a good plan for this week, and we’re focused on playing up to our potential.”\nWith a longer week of practice, the IU coaches have been able to stress some of the little things they have noticed throughout the season.\n“It has been a great time to revisit some of the things we have been working on all year,” Robertson said. “We’re trying to identify what we need to improve and then find the mental and tactical solutions. Then we have to be gritty enough to apply those during the game.”\nIn its last game, the IU offense exploded for eight goals, beating Missouri State 8-0 in Columbus, Ohio. Scoring has not come easy this season, but the Hoosiers are hoping to build on their most recent offensive performance. \n“It all starts in the backfield with good outlets,” sophomore forward Alina Valenti said. “And then it goes to the midfield with good lead passes. If we can make good connections on the field we’ll be able to create good scoring chances.”\nRobertson said she hopes the team will continue to attack like they did in the win over Missouri State. \n“We have to keep the pressure on the opponent and play with confidence,” Robertson said. “We are a capable team, and we just need to go out and put it together out on the field.”\nAfter a good week of practice, the Hoosiers are ready for the challenge before them. \n“We’ve been practicing really well this week,” Valenti said after Wednesday’s practice. “Today we had another good practice. I think we’ve had good focus and we’re ready to go.”\nSince Michigan upset Iowa last week, the Hawkeyes will also be looking for their first Big Ten of the season. \n“It’s a really big game for us and for them,” sophomore back Lucy Ireland said. “Every Big Ten game is big, but this one is really important for us bouncing back from the Ohio State loss. We have a great opportunity to beat a really good team. It would be huge for us and our confidence.”