IU drops 2 tough games over weekend

Hoosiers fall to No. 12 Ohio, No. 5 Wake Forest

Chris Pickrell

The IU field hockey team had a tough weekend, dropping two hard-fought contests to No. 12 Ohio and No. 5 Wake Forest at the IU Field Hockey Field. \nThe Hoosiers raised their level of play to the competition, but fell just short in both games, losing to Ohio 1-0 and Wake Forest 2-1.\n“We didn’t get the results we wanted, but I think we had two good performances,” IU coach Amy Robertson said. “The job of the coaches is to always be working on the next thing and always trying to be taking steps forward. I think we took some big steps forward.”\nIU (4-3) lost a heartbreaker to Ohio on Friday. The Hoosiers and Bobcats played evenly throughout the game, with Ohio outshooting IU 10-8 and earning a 5-3 advantage in penalty corners. \nIn the end, it was a penalty corner that made the difference. With just more than one minute left, Ohio’s Marcy Dull tipped in a shot off a penalty corner to give the Bobcats the victory. \n“It was a really hard-fought game, and in the end, it just didn’t go our way,” senior goalkeeper Haley Exner said. “I was really feeling a win, but we had a five-second breakdown and they took advantage on the corner.”\nThe Hoosiers had several scoring opportunities throughout the game, but were unable to take advantage. \n“We had some good chances, but we were a little bit anxious in the attacking zone,” Robertson said. “I think we need to attack with a little more composure and patience.”\nAgainst Wake Forest, the game was scoreless at halftime again, with neither team finding any real scoring opportunities. The pace picked up in the second half, and Wake Forest outshot IU 10-3, while earning an 8-4 edge in penalty corners for the game.\nThe Demon Deacons took a 1-0 lead 10 minutes into the second half. Just two minutes later, IU junior back Danitra Castro tied the score at one with a goal off a penalty corner. Wake Forest took the lead for good less than two minutes later, with a goal of its own off a penalty corner. \n“I think we stepped up our game to a whole new level today,” junior forward Katie Kiper said after the Wake Forest game. “We came out and played well from the beginning.”\n Despite the loss, Robertson was happy with how the team competed throughout the game.\n“Wake Forest is a team we really respect,” she said. “I was pleased that we came out and felt we could win the whole time. We were never tentative and we really pressed and defended well. I was very proud of our effort.”\nWith their first Big Ten game of the season next weekend against Ohio State, the Hoosiers believe their level of play is just where they want it to be. \n“I think we are starting to peak at the right time,” Kiper said. “I don’t think anyone expected us to play this well. Once we start finishing on offense, there are endless possibilities to what we can do.”