Hispanic Heritage Month kicks off

The Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center will be taking on a more multicultural role by hosting the opening ceremonies for National Hispanic Heritage Month.\nNational Hispanic Heritage Month will begin at 4 p.m. Thursday after Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan delivers a proclamation announcing the beginning of the month, said Lilian Casillas, director of La Casa Latino Culture Center.\nSeveral on- and off- campus Latino organizations will be present with information and to answer students’ inquiries, Casillas said. Director of Latino Studies Arlene Diaz and Director of Central Latin American and Caribbean Studies Andrea Siqueira will also be available. \n“There will be a couple of Latino music acts,” Casillas said. “Eduardo Mendoza will play classical guitar, and the North Star Capoeira group will be performing.” \nFor most of the time, Casillas said, attendees will be able to interact and enjoy the provided food and learn more about the Latino community. \n“Even though I think it is important to learn about Latinos year-round, this month is a good opportunity to discover who Latinos are and become involved in the programs offered,” Casillas said. “National Hispanic Heritage Month is a great way to encourage people’s interests in Latino culture.” \nThrough the rest of September and partially through October, La Casa is collaborating with several other student organizations to present lectures, show Latino-oriented films and hold festivals to involve the campus and community. \nLater events include the Festival Latino, to be held on Saturday, a celebration of Sephardic life and culture, “Sounds of Brazil” performance by Brazilian composer Valeria De Castro and lecture “Che Who?” on revolutionist Che Guevara. \nLunch discussions on race and immigration and a festival acelebrating Christopher Columbus’ arrival in the Americas are also planned for National Hispanic Heritage Month. \nFor more information and a complete schedule of events, please visit La Casa’s Web site at www.indiana.edu/~lacasa or e-mail lacasa@indiana.edu.