Monday, June 17

Hill rallies student support for ‘08 presidential elections

Congressman praises grassroots campaign

David Corso

The IU College Democrats kicked off their year in style Wednesday evening, as about 80 students flocked to question Rep. Baron Hill, D-9th, and to learn more about the group planning to jump start itself in the lead up to the 2008 elections. \nHill spent more than a half-hour taking questions from students, largely echoing the words of his fellow democrats in Washington on issues such as the ongoing war in Iraq, health care and energy independence. \nStill, his tone was not nearly as optimistic as during the highly contested political season last November. Hill defeated then-incumbent Mike Sodrell to win the 9th District seat in one of the country’s most-watched races. Acknowledging the tightness of that race, Hill said his victory was in large part a result of grassroots efforts by groups such as the IU College Democrats. \n“My race became a symbol for everything the American people wanted to have happen,” Hill said, reflecting on the weeks before the Congressional elections. Democrats uplifted themselves as champions for change. The party won races across the country, taking control of both the Senate and House of Representatives.\nThe politician’s tone in responding to questions was oddly familiar. Rather than cheering the successes of his fellow Congressional democrats, he again promoted the potential change that the next round of elections could bring. On several issues, he said no progress can be made until President Bush leaves office in January 2009. For example, he was pessimistic that any real change could be seen in Iraq until after elections next year. \n“(Bush) can’t come to terms that he has been a failure in Iraq,” Hill said. “And he has been.” \nHill acknowledged the political stalemate over the war was caused by democrats current inability to override a Presidential veto and said he saw no real hope for significantly decreasing troop levels until a democratic president takes office.\nPotential IU College Democrat members did not seem overly concerned, however, with Hill acknowledging a lack of Congressional progress on hot-button issues since the elections almost a year ago. Recent IU graduate Neville Batiwalla said he was impressed when Hill did not seem to dodge particularly tough questions. Batiwalla, a native of India, said Hill’s remarks Wednesday were much what he expected. \nThe College Democrats will begin the year focusing on generating support for Mayor Mark Kruzan as he battles to retain his post. Following the elections, the organization will turn its focus to the already anticipated presidential elections, said sophomore Andrew Hahn, the group’s vice president for politics.