Sunday, June 16

Children’s hospital renamed after Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning

Colts player donated unknown sum of money

INDIANAPOLIS – Colts quarterback Peyton Manning now has a children’s hospital named after him.\nThe St. Vincent Children’s Hospital was renamed Wednesday as Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent.\nManning has had a strong public and private relationship with the St. Vincent hospitals since 1998 when he joined the Colts, but officials didn’t say how much money the Super Bowl MVP has donated to the facility.\n“He is not only an extraordinary football athlete, but also a role model who is committed to giving back to children and the community,” said Vincent C. Caponi, CEO of St. Vincent Health.\nManning was at the announcement with his wife and parents and said he has known patients and families treated there.\n“I’m extremely proud to be associated with St. Vincent as it continues its mission and work on behalf of critically ill and injured children and their families,” Manning said.\nThe hospital, which has sites in Indianapolis and Carmel, specializes in treating children with complex, chronic or congenital conditions. It includes 46 inpatient beds and 15 beds in a pediatric intensive care unit, as well as 17 private rooms in the pediatric emergency department.\n“We have set a goal to become one of the safest and best children’s hospitals in the country by delivering world-class pediatric care,” said Jeff Poltawsky, administrator of the newly named hospital.\nSt. Vincent operates one of two children’s hospitals in Indianapolis. Clarian Health Partners runs the other, Riley Hospital for Children.\nManning and the Colts open their Super Bowl title defense Thursday night against the New Orleans Saints.