30 Rock - Season One Season: A Extras: B+

A TV show about a TV show

30 ROCK -- NBC Series -- Pictured: Tracy Morgan as Lawrence -- NBC Photo: Eric Liebowitz

There are many reasons why you should watch "30 Rock." The cast alone is reason enough. Tina Fey plays Liz Lemon, head writer of an "Saturday Night Live"-type skit show, "The Girlie Show." Everything changes for Liz when Alec Baldwin's character, GE network exec Jack Donaghy, decides to recruit Tracy Jordan, played by Tracy Morgan. The dynamic between a geeky and sympathetic Liz, crazy white-collar Jack and "straight-up mentally ill" Tracy makes for an extraordinary new sitcom. It's hard to not laugh at Tracy Jordan's nonsensical musings on life, and watch the show pull together in the end. \nWhile Liz, Jack and Tracy are the core of the show, the rest of the cast is also remarkable. Jane Krakowski makes a triumphant TV comeback as Liz's best friend and counterpart. Newcomer Jack McBrayer plays Kenneth, an exuberant NBC page who will do anything for the love of television. Then there's excellent guest appearances from "SNL" alumna Rachel Dratch, rapper Ghostface Killah and actress Isabella Rossellini.\nIt's difficult to do the whole show within a show thing. Yet "30 Rock" draws no boundaries when it comes to self-referential comedy. It subtly stabs at "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," shamelessly plugs its own advertiser Snapple, and even features other shows like "Hard Ball" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien." While the focus of "30 Rock" is a show within a show, its success lies in the character dynamic between the writers, actors and producers. The show is just brilliantly hilarious in its ability to address popular culture. \nIf you're already a fan of "30 Rock," the extras will not disappoint. There are a total of six bonus features including deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes and Kenneth the page's pseudo talk show, "An Evening With Kenneth." The most interesting features are the audio commentaries. Tracy Morgan, Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin all have their own commentaries, as do Jack McBrayer and Executive Producer Lorne Michaels. As the actors comment throughout the episodes, one can realize their characters' parallels between reality and TV. \nYou can't help but root for ol' Liz Lemon to pull through in the end of every episode, and hold it all together for the show. At the same time, fans of "30 Rock" will be rooting for Tina Fey and company for a hilarious and long-lasting run.