Sunday, June 16

Lafayette woman jailed after allowing young son to drive car

Mother said the 5-year-old boy is ‘a good driver’

LAFAYETTE, Ind. - A mother faces two felony neglect charges after prosecutors said she allowed her 5-year-old son to drive her and his younger brother in the woman’s car.\nHolly L. Schnobrich, 24, of Lafayette was being held under $10,000 bond Thursday in the Tippecanoe County Jail.\nAccording to an affidavit filed Tuesday with the charges, Tippecanoe County sheriff’s deputies were called Saturday night to a subdivision east of Lafayette after neighbors reported finding the 5-year-old behind the wheel.\n“It was just bizarre,” Wendy Barrett said of finding the boy driving his seemingly impaired mother and stopping on Barrett’s property. “I asked, ‘Is this toddler driving your car?’ She said, ‘He’s a good driver.’”\nThe 5-year-old and Schnobrich’s 3-year-old son who was also in the vehicle were taken into custody by the Department of Child Services.\nBarrett said the children were in their pajamas and did not appear hurt or distraught. Neither child was restrained; there were two safety seats in the back seat.\nAnother neighbor removed the ignition key, Barrett said.\nPolice also found a near-empty bottle of sleeping pills that Schnobrich said she had bought just two days prior. Schnobrich told investigators that she would take a prescription painkiller to calm down when her children acted up, according to the affidavit.\nThe 5-year-old told a sheriff’s deputy that he had been driving but was “having a hard time because I can’t reach the pedals.”