IU field hockey begins play on new home field Friday

Pete Stuttgen

Ever since IU field hockey returned as a varsity sport in 2000, the Hoosiers have played their home games inside Mellencamp Pavilion. After seven seasons playing indoors and sharing the facility with other sports, the Hoosiers now have an outdoor field to call their own. \nFresh off two wins over Pacific and Cal-Berkeley in California last weekend, the Hoosiers return to Bloomington this weekend for their first two games on the new field. And while the weather might not rival that of California, the players are excited just to be playing outdoors. \n“It will be really nice to play outside,” senior midfielder Meredith Brown said. “I like to play in the heat, and it will be nice to have a regular field. I think we we’re one of the only Division I teams still playing indoors.”\nIU is 2-0 on the season, and will welcome SUNY-Albany on Friday and Saint Louis University on Sunday. The second game will be preceded at 12:45 p.m. by a ribbon-cutting ceremony to usher in a new era of IU field hockey facilities. \nIU coach Amy Robertson said she is excited to compete on the new field for the first time. After practicing all preseason on the new field, Robertson is also glad the Hoosiers will be playing on a field they are familiar with. \n“Playing in California, we had to kind of adjust to the different fields,” she said. “So it will be nice to get back out on a field we’re used to. The ball speed in California was really fast, but our touch was off because of the different field. This weekend, the ball speed will be slower, but our touch will be a lot better.”\nAfter a successful road trip to the West Coast, Robertson said she is pleased with the team’s progress. \n“I thought we took a huge step forward from the Pacific game to the Cal game,” she said. “We’ll have to continue to take steps forward and get better for these games.” \nIU outshot their opponents in both of their first two games, but Robertson is looking for the team to focus on finding quality shots. \n“We found ourselves getting into the circle a lot,” she said. “We’re working on maximizing our chances and creating better shot opportunities.”\nRobertson praised the depth the team has displayed so far, and said she has been impressed by the five freshmen added from the Hoosiers’ latest recruiting class. \n“The freshmen have adjusted well,” she said. “This is a whole new experience for them, and they are so happy and excited to be contributing to the team.”\nNot only will this weekend mark the first games on the new field for the freshmen, but it will also be the first time they play in front of a home crowd. \n“I can’t wait to play out in front of our own fans,” freshman forward Katie Griswold said. “We’re just trying to keep up the intensity and have fun playing.” \nGriswold, who is from California, said when she came to IU, she didn’t even know about the new outdoor field, but was pleasantly surprised. \n“It will be amazing to play outside,” she said.