Hail to the jams

Most Americans aren’t into politics. Voter interest decreases, just as American Idol popularity increases. What these two seemingly different competitions have in common are their voters. In a way, voters ultimately use the same techniques in both cases. Americans are going to pick a winner to whom they can relate. And above all, they’re going to vote for whoever plays the best music. \nResponding to an Associated Press question in May 2007, the 2008 presidential candidates were asked about their most recent album purchase. Senator Barack Obama’s latest buy was the “Ray” movie soundtrack. So, he’s somewhat hip and pretty deep.\nSen. John McCain went for The Beach Boys’ “Sounds of Summer”, a feel-good classic. The dude just wants to have some clean, all-American fun.\nRudy Giuliani picked Verdi’s “Macbeth,” a real eyebrow-raiser. Macbeth is all about amoral backstabbing to get where he wants; how can one not make parallels?\nSen. Hillary Clinton goes for some Carly Simon to appeal to her fellow females and sensitive dudes.\nBut one truly gets to see Hillary’s personas through her campaign song choices. The Temptations’ “Get Ready” shows her exuberance. It’s a bit too determined and in your face. And while it’s a smart move to include the Dixie Chicks for their liberal values and popularity, the song “Ready to Run” is actually irrelevant. \nThe campaign song winner, which was picked by voters via her Web site, was Celine Dion’s “You and I.” It’s pretty clear the majority of the voters were Hillary haters. Celine Dion is not only incredibly cheesy; she’s not even American!\nI’m not sure whether Hillary and other candidates picked these songs themselves or if they hired an expert. Regardless, they should have picked me for the job. \nFor Hillary, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ “American Girl” is perfect. It’s simple, feel-good and patriotic. To show her determination as sassy, but not scary she should go for Kelis’ “Bossy.” Then, to show the modest and vulnerable Hil’, she should flaunt Cat Power’s “The Greatest.” \nBarack should either go for a classic or a new jam. Both choices could be uplifting and soulful. A great classic is The Five Stairsteps’ “Ooh Child,” a beautiful and comforting song about things looking up. For a fresh outlook, he could go for Kanye West’s “Touch the Sky.” Kanye’s confidence would transcend well, and the horns kicking in the chorus would have everyone raising the roof. If you want to appeal to voters’ emotions, R.Kelly’s “I Believe I can Fly” would do it.\nIf Giuliani wants to keep Macbeth’s intensity and show some New York pride, he should choose Wu-Tang Clan’s “Ain’t Nothin’ to Fuck Wit.” \nMcCain couldn’t go wrong with The Beach Boys, but it’s almost too safe a choice. To show a sense of humor, he could use Wilco’s “When You Wake Up Feeling Old.” Additionally, the latter could work for an AARP commercial. \nYou can tell a lot about a person through music tastes, and presidential candidates are no exception.