Velvet Revolver Libertad : B+

Freedom to rock

At Van Halen's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Sammy Hagar introduced Velvet Revolver as, "the best rock and roll band left on the planet." In today's pop-heavy mainstream, few bands that can wail like they can. Perhaps it is cheating because they are a supergroup, being comprised of three former Guns N' Roses members and Scott Weiland of the Stone Temple Pilots. With this in mind, it was to be expected that Velvet Revolver would bring the heat on their new album, "Libertad." \nEarly into the album, it is clear why Slash is one of the best rock guitarists of the past 20 years. His riffs and solos provide the highlights of the album. In addition, Weiland's voice sounds better than it has in years, hitting notes that he could not quite reach on the band's debut release "Contraband."\nEach track sounds fresh and rocks hard. "She Builds Quick Machines" is a catchy tune that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Another rocker is "Just Sixteen," with its blaring guitar and driving drums. Also, be sure to stay tuned for the hidden track at the end of "Gravedancer." The patient listener will find a song with a country twang reminiscent of Led Zeppelin when John Paul Jones busted out the mandolin.\nIn a music scene that is filled with pretty voices and prettier faces, it is refreshing to hear an album come out like Libertad. The album is a little more audience-friendly than any of Velvet Revolver's other rock counterparts in the industry today, which is sure to make it a hit. Just ask Sammy Hagar.