Umphreakin Out! Making it into my favorite band's DVD

Ali Jones

Standing in the front row of the balcony, I knew I was in for a big night. Having arrived early enough to obtain these seats, I was able to soak in my surroundings. The theme of the weekend was the Big Top, and the stage was set accordingly. Camera rigs and cranes were visible on the sides of the venue and on the stage. Wheels were already in motion for what was set to be Umphrey's McGee's second music DVD.\nThe music DVD is a unique aspect of the music world. It has the ability to do several things. It takes a step up from the live album, enabling the listener to also view the band and perhaps see an incredible stage presence that would have been lost with the CD. For a while it was impossible to hear the name Coldplay and not think about Paul Rudd making fun of Seth Rogan in "The 40 Year Old Virgin." But their live concert DVD is so high-energy, it truly shows the talent of the band, furthering them from the movie's punch line. \nNowadays, monster HDTVs and sound systems have allowed the music DVD to become a way for people to experience bands that they might never have even had the chance to see. It also gives concertgoers the chance to relive some of their favorite shows, the memories of which might be a little hazy. With the volume cranked up loud enough, it's the same as having the best seat in the venue. Some people would prefer avoiding the nosebleed seats and instead would rather pop in a DVD to get a chance to watch BB King caress Lucille. The music DVD affords today's generation of music lovers the chance to see Jimi Hendrix light his guitar on fire at the Monterey Pop Festival as well as see the others who left us too early, such as Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain.\nThere are basically two types of music DVDs. There's the concert DVD, which generally portrays a band's live act. This format has captured Jimmy Buffet in the first concert ever at Wrigley Field and Led Zeppelin in the midst of all their blues-rock and raw energy. Then there is the documentary. This not only contains performances but also serves to give the events a context. Its style often heightens the experience with added touches of culture and history, which serve as a quick ride in the DeLorean to the time and place of the concert. This style has transported viewers to places all the way from the world of Woodstock to the psychedelic train of Festival Express. \nA truly special experience is being at a concert that is being filmed for a music DVD. These gigs usually see the band well-practiced and at the top of their game. It also means that the lights and sound will be near perfection. In addition, the band is sure to play their biggest hits and crowd-pleasers, as well as some fun covers. The icing on the cake for all of this is finding yourself on the DVD once it is released.\nFlash forward to a very drunk dial from a friend informing me I am on on the DVD, rocking out to "Prowler." Soon, a copy of the DVD has been delivered to my door. I pop it in, and there I am captured for a brief moment, but there forever.