IU well-represented in Pan Am Games in Rio de Janeiro

3 Hoosiers compete for U.S teams in Brazil

IDS File Photo
Sophomore midfielder Daniel Kelly battles with Louisville's Fred Braun during the first half April 6 at Jerry Yeagley Field.  IU pulled ahead in the second half and recorded a 1-0 victory.

Three IU student-athletes have been selected to compete in the ongoing Pan American Games this month in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.\nSenior forward D.J. White was selected to compete for the Team USA basketball team Tuesday, while two members of the IU soccer team – sophomore midfielder Daniel Kelly and sophomore midfielder Kevin Alston – began play for the U.S. soccer team Sunday.\n“It feels good to know that I will represent my country,” White said in a statement. “It is a great honor. Now we can concentrate on getting to know each other on and off the court.”\nAlston and Kelly both started for Team USA in a 2-1 victory against Venezuela and played all 90 minutes at the Zico Football Center in Rio de Janeiro.\nThe Americans played again Wednesday against Bolivia, a game that saw both players again earn starting spots. Alston played the full 90 minutes and Kelly played 61 in a 4-2 loss for the Americans. The team plays again at 9 a.m. Saturday against Mexico.\nWhite, who was selected over the weekend as one of the final 14 candidates for the team, survived the final cut of two players to make the 12-team roster, which will be traveling down to Rio de Janeiro later this month. He is the eighth IU basketball player to compete in the Pan Am Games and the first since Todd Lindeman and Damon Bailey were selected for the 1999 games. \nWhite and his teammates are training in Washington, D.C., and will begin Pan Am play July 25 against Uruguay. Team USA will also face Panama and Argentina in group play.