Captivity (R): D-

Lionsgate has made a killing on exploiting the fear of moviegoers in much the same way as amusement parks use impending death on roller coasters to scare their patrons. From "Saw" to "Hostel," the dark and desolate are the company's signature money-makers. The concepts are often as horrific as the torture. Unfortunately, in association with After Dark Films, Lionsgate's latest piece "Captivity" forgets about plot and concentrates on brutality.\nWhen Jennifer (Elisha Cuthbert) wakes up in a confined room made of brick and steel, her psychological torture begins and leads to the realm of physical pain. Attempting to free herself from her captor, she meets Gary (Daniel Gillies), and together they work to escape. But "Captivity" is a vile film that will turn your stomach before it grazes your intellect. Basically, the film is an hour and 15-minute torture-fest until the protagonist breaks out and attempts to kill her abductor. Forty-five minutes into the film I actually said out loud, "Why would anyone want to watch this?" Evidently, Lionsgate thought they could once again dupe the public who enjoyed the torture that was the "Saw" trilogy.\n"Captivity" fails to horrify because it's too disgusting to be scary. The only decent part of the film (and it is a small bit of decency) is Cuthbert's performance as a convincing victim who plays the accustomed pretty girl almost perfectly.\nFor horror-lovers, "Captivity" will be one of the summer's biggest disappointments. For film-lovers, it will be appalling. For fun-lovers, it will be a bore. For slaughter-house owners, it will be like a day at work. Skip "Captivity" if you want to keep your dinner down.