Caffeine, convenient drug of choice, may cause addiction

Stimulant used by college students for energy boosts

GREENVILLE, N.C. – After a late night of studying, many college students need a boost to make it through the next day. \nFor East Carolina University junior Sarah Stebnicki, along with many other students, this boost comes in the form of caffeine, and is obtained through the consumption of coffee. \n“I have at least two cups before I leave the house every morning,” said Stebnicki. \nStebnicki has been drinking coffee regularly since she was 15. \nOftentimes, the occasional cup of coffee to keep a student alert can turn into many, decreasing the effectiveness of the caffeine. \nFor Stebnicki, a stint at the Starbucks’ in Greenville N.C., coffee houses for several years fostered her reliance on caffeine to make it through the day. \n“I was drinking espresso like, every day, and I got to the point where it didn’t even affect me very much,” Stebnicki said.\nThe consumption of caffeine is not only limited to the population of college students. Researchers estimate that about 80 percent of the world’s population consumes some form of caffeine on a daily basis. \nThough caffeine is obviously a staple in America’s diet, medical research has yet to fully determine whether caffeine has positive or negative effects on \none’s health. \nA recent study at Duke University Medical Center revealed that caffeine has an effect on the body that lasts all day and can increase stress in people who consume it daily. \nHowever, some people believe caffeine has little or no effect \non them. \nCaroline Boyd, an ECU sophomore, claims that she does not need caffeine to function. \n“I drink coffee occasionally because I like it – but I don’t have a problem with it,” Boyd said. “I think it’s psychological, and for some people, it’s all in their head.” \nDespite the occasional person’s lack of reliance on coffee, coffee shops have been multiplying in number in the United States over the past 15 years. Starbucks is the largest of those chains in the world. Greenville alone has four stores and another one currently under construction. \nJulius Beasley III, a junior and English education major, said he likes the options available to him even though he is not a big coffee drinker. \n“I do enjoy ... sweet alternatives and fruity beverages,” he said. “I’m glad it’s there as a place to treat a friend who’s busy or a girl who likes coffee.”