‘Something Missie in the Life of Jordan Bank’ premiers

It began as a student production about an inventor of sea monkeys. But filmmakers Matthew Zatkoff, Teresa Becvar, Alex Kercheval and Daniel DeSloover never imagined that their production would soon evolve into their own independent film.\nSeven years in the making, “Something Missie in the Life of Jordan Bank” was created when Zatkoff, graduate of the Arts Institute of Chicago, Kercheval, graduate of IUPUI and recent IU graduates Becvar and DeSloover came together to conceptualize the film. \nDeSloover has been a part of the project for four years. DeSloover worked on the film full time and was a full-time student during the making of the film.\n“Living a double life was well worth it,” DeSloover said.\nWithout giving away the plot of “Something Missie in the Life of Jordan Bank,” DeSloover said, “It is the story of a young boy who’s the typical underdog. Jordan has no friends and spends a lot of time taking care of his mother. He has an attachment to his pets, especially his pet monkey, Missie.”\nThe film faced scrutiny by peers because of its low budget and big goals. Skeptics doubted the film would ever leave the ground. \n“The film budget wasn’t close in range to any independent film project,” Kercheval said. “The typical independent film can cost any where from $700,000 to $1 million, and our budget did not reach the heights of a typical independent film.”\nThe movie was shot on 35 mm film, the same film used in any major production shown in theaters and is very expensive, DeSloover said.\n“The quality of 35 mm film distinguishes it from a student video or documentary on top of its cost,” Kercheval said. \nMonetary problems were one of the toughest challenges the team had to face. \n“Most of the funding and profiting came from our own pockets,” Zatkoff said. ”We all got together and found items which we in turn sold on eBay to also help fund a lot of \nthe project.”\nThe premiere of “Something Missie: In the Life of Jordan Bank” will be showing at the Indiana State Museum’s IMAX Theater at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m., July 20.\nTickets will be $15 for the first showing and $10 for the second and will be used as a fundraiser for the film, DeSloover said.\n“We worked around all the obstacles to come up with the finished product, and I believe it succeeded what we initially thought,” said Zatkoff.\nFor more information about tickets and show times, visit www.somethingmissie.com