Event brings fine arts, 50 artists to courthouse lawn

Chris Pickrell

The sky may have been a dreary gray on Saturday, but Bloomington’s downtown square was the exact opposite. Swirls of colors and shapes sheltered under neat white tents clearly distinguished the 27th Arts Fair on the Square from any hint of the lackluster conditions.\nParents, children, couples and college kids gathered on the courthouse lawn to view and purchase original artwork, most of which was created by Indiana artists. \nThe sidewalks were jammed with strollers and people leisurely peering into booths of pottery, photography, stained glass, woodwork, metal sculpture, furniture, watercolor, jewelry and more.\nThis year’s Fair on the Sqaure, run by the Bloomington Area Arts Council, featured 50 artists and artist-duos. The fair might seem casual to the curious art explorer, but applying to secure a booth at the annual show is a competitive process.\n“The artists submit their work, which is then juried. We had between 90-100 artists apply this year, but the Courthouse lawn can only hold around 50 artists. It’s very competitive,” said Nicole Longevin-Burroughs, coordinator for Arts Fair on the Square.\nTom Reed, an artist who hand-carves cooking utensils out of exotic wood from all over the world. \n“I like the idea of being scrutinized,” he said. “I have high standards, and I want to be involved in events with high standards.”\nAfter life in Hollywood and San Diego, Reed moved to the small town of Sandborne, Ind., into what he called a “radically different lifestyle.” \nWith a marketing background in the music industry, Reed said he was happy to escape a business based on selling image more than talent.\n“I know people aren’t buying my work because I’m sexy,” he stated, “but because they actually like it.”\nNew to Arts Fair on the Square was Steve Swihart, a Bloomington resident displaying crafted furniture made of wood and limestone.\n“I like to classify my work as simplicity with a twist,” said Swihart, one of 14 news artists to the show.\nHis work literally is “with a twist.” Swihart’s furniture has a simplistic appeal, with straight, smooth tabletops, but with unexpected additions of twisty, knotty pieces of wood on many of the pieces.\n“I just wanted to see how I’d do and if people would like what I do,” Swihart said.\nPhotographer and IU alumnus Kyle Spears’ booth was full of matted and framed work – and a steady stream of interested customers.\nSpears graduated from the IU School of Fine Arts in 2004 and now lives in Nashville, Ind. He does a lot of his work while traveling, evident in his display of photos taken in Japan and around Europe.\n“I like to combine travel and photography; I really like street photography,” Spears said.\nHe talked about his next photographic quest and even got some advice on interesting places from visitors to his booth.\n“I’m going to Vegas,” he said with a chuckle. “It’ll be quite a change.”\nAs for the future, Arts Fair on the Square may have to change its name. \n“We’re getting a little large for the courthouse lawn,” Longevin-Burroughs said.