2 Indiana soldiers killed in war

Two soldiers with Indiana ties were killed overseas – one in Iraq and one if Afghanistan.\nArmy Spc. David Wilkey Jr., 22, was in a Humvee convoy when he was killed by a roadside bomb Monday in Iraq, his family in Elkhart, Ind., said. Army Staff Sgt. Roy P. Lewsader Jr., 36, died Saturday in Afghanistan when his vehicle was struck by enemy fire, the Department of Defense announced in a Monday news release.\nThe department said in a news release that Lewsader, who died in Tarin Kowt, was from Belleville, Ill. But the soldier’s wife called to say he was from Clinton, Ind., said April Blackmon, a spokeswoman for Fort Riley, where Lewsader was based.\nWilkey, who spent his younger years in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, graduated from Elkhart’s Jimtown High School and worked with his father at Plastic Components in that city for several years before joining the military and being deployed to the Baghdad area, his family said.\nWilkey was married to Melinda Wilkey and had two children, stepson Christian, 4, and son Blayke, 1. A third child was due in October, Margaret Wilkey said. The soldier had been based out of Fort Riley, Kan., and nearby Clay Center was his most recent home.\nA memorial service is planned at Fort Riley, and Wilkey will be buried in the Upper Peninsula, where his mother lives.\nBlackmon said U.S. Army records showed Belleville as Lewsader’s “home of record,” but family said the soldier had no known ties to Illinois, the Belleville News-Democrat reported.\n“This hasn’t ever happened to us before,” Blackmon told the newspaper. “Right now, the Army is looking into it.”\nLewsader was assigned to 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division based at Fort Riley.