UPDATE: 4:05 p.m. Disturbance among prisoners at New Castle prison

Newly arrived Arizona inmates were involved

NEW CASTLE, Ind. – Two staff members were injured in a disturbance among prisoners Tuesday at the New Castle Correctional Facility, a prison spokeswoman said.\nPictures taken from television helicopters showed at least two fires burning in the courtyard.\nNew Castle Mayor Tom Nipp told WISH-TV that he was told it was a “full scale riot” at the medium-security prison.\nIndiana Department of Correction spokeswoman Java Ahmed said more than one cell house was involved in the disturbance. She did not release the extent of the staffers’ injuries. \nThe DOC mobilized emergency squads, county police and Indiana State Police to the prison about 45 miles east of Indianapolis, she said. Nipp said the entire city police force had been activated. Helicopter pictures also showed police in riot gear standing outside the prison fence.\nIn March, Arizona and Indiana reached an agreement on housing up to 1,260 Arizona inmates at the prison about 45 miles east of Indianapolis. Bill Lamoreaux, spokesman for the Arizona Department of Corrections, said New Castle is currently housing 630 Arizona inmates, who began arriving in the last two months.\nAhmed said Indiana and Arizona inmates were involved in the disturbance.\nThe prison was established in 2002 and housed an average daily population of 450 in 2005, according to the DOC web site. It has a 2,416-bed capacity. It also houses a psychiatric facility that treats DOC inmates who are bused in from other prisons.\nGEO Group last year contracted with the Indiana Department of Correction to assume management of the prison for an initial term of four years with three two-year extensions.