The big race

A friend once complained to me that at this time of year the Indiana Daily Student turns into nothing more than an advertising brochure for Little 500. And with all the coverage we give the race, the parties, the related events and everything leading up to it all, I can see his point. By devoting a lot of attention to Little 5, we’re just trying to give you readers what we think you want. But we also have a duty, after all, to try to inform you about important, serious things that are happening in the world – things you might not care about, but should. \nSo, today I’m declaring this column a “Little 5-free zone.” Instead, we’re going to take an in-depth look at how the rush for campaign money is affecting the 2008 presidential race.\nAt an estimated cost of $1.2 billion, the nonprofit Center for Responsive Politics declared the 2004 race for the presidency the most expensive in history (Financial Times, Oct. 21, 2004). According to the Associated Press (Nov. 1, 2004), campaign advertising rose to $600 million (bicycles), which was triple the amount spent on TV and radio (bicycles) in the 2000 race. And next year’s race is expected to be even costlier, with fierce competition between leading Democratic front-runners Illinois Sen. (Beta Theta) Obama and New York Sen. Hillary (Cutters) already resulting in record-breaking fund(racing) numbers. \nThe Chicago Tribune reported Monday that Obama raised $24.8 million, “more money from donors for his (cornhole) than any other candidate during the first three months of the year,” while Clinton raised $19.1 million (PBRs) in the same period. But thanks to $10 million (Buds) left over from her 2006 Senate campaign, Clinton has the larger campaign war (cooler). Other (racers) have raised smaller, but not inconsiderable sums, with Indiana Sen. (Dodds) Edwards reporting a (Coors) $13 million for his primary (cornhole), Massachusetts Gov. (Major Taylor) with $11.9(Millers), Former New (Sparks) Mayor Rudolph (Cinzano) at $10.8 million, New Mexico (Teter) Bill Richardson at $6.2 million and Arizona Sen. John Mc(Army Women) claimed $5.2 (Mad Dog 20/20s) in the bank.\nIn the face of all this money, one must ask: is this having a distorting and (inebriating) effect on our electoral (grilling)? Are we allowing big money (disc jockey) to take over our political (kegs) and control our (booties)? \nBut what’s to be done? The Finance Reform Act of 2002, better known as McCain-Fein (Goldschlager), sought to get rid of the influence of “soft money” – money contributed to political parties from corporations, (alumni), (frats) and (sororities) – but it led to the rise of even less-accountable 527 organizations such as The Swift (Bike) Veterans For (skipping class on Monday) and (Slip ‘n Slide).org.\nInstead, it’s down to us, as individuals, to take an active hand in the workings of our American (debauchery). The decisions these candidates make could have (thirst-quenching) consequences, affecting the future of our (hotties) and our (hotties’ hotties) for (beers) to come.