Rubber ducks to race in Jordan River Sunday

Proceeds from event to benefit March of Dimes

Although it’s not commonly used as a bathtub, the Jordan River might look like one on Sunday during Alpha Phi Omega’s 17th annual Rubber Duck Regatta. The event will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Dunn Meadow. Proceeds from the philanthropy will be donated to the March of Dimes campaign. \n“It’ll be fun for community members, families and students alike,” said sophomore Erica Honeywell, who helped organize the event. “They can come out and watch the duck races, play games and give back to the community by supporting the March of Dimes.”\nThroughout the semester, members of the service fraternity have been raising money by selling tickets, equivalent to one duck. For each ticket sold, a duck is “sponsored” to race down the river during one of the day’s many races. \nThose who purchased the winning ducks in the smaller series of races will receive prizes donated by local businesses, and the first place winner of the final race will be given a $100 grand prize. In addition to the duck regatta, there will be games and food. Radio host Rick Evans from Hoosier Country 105.1 FM will also be at the event.\n“All of the money we raise from the ticket sales, canning and donations will be given to the March of Dimes,” Honeywell said. “We’ve worked all semester to prepare for this event and it’s a great way for everyone in the fraternity to come together with a common goal of raising money for March of Dimes.”\nMarch of Dimes is a national organization that works to “improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality,” according to the organization’s March of Dimes. Alpha Phi Omega will donate the money generated from this event to the South Central Indiana chapter.