Relay for Life ‘rocks’ despite storms

Chris Pickrell

As rain beat down on the track, drum beats and guitar solos kept spirits high at this year’s Relay for Life “Rock Out Cancer” awareness concert.\nThe Billy Hayes Track was the event’s venue, and participants showed up to walk, talk and take part in various activities. The music began late Saturday night and continued into Sunday morning, featuring local bands The Future, The Romance and Stereo Deluxe. The groups showered fans with loud, up-tempo music that included original songs and well-known covers.\nThe theme of this year’s Relay events was “Fun in the Sun,” but midway through the concert, clouds and rain extinguished campfires and soaked devoted walkers.\nHowever, it did little do deplete the spirits of the participants. Many embraced the downpour – especially those gathered in front of the small red-and-white tent that harbored the night’s performers. In an almost childlike way, listeners danced and screamed as rain showered them. Many were friends of the band; others were simply Relay participants looking to salvage some fun amid the storm.\nMusic rang loudly and clearly throughout the stadium, and several walkers said it helped them stay awake and active during the twilight hours of the event.\n“Everything was still going on regardless of the rain. I had a blast,” said Jay Lutterman, one of the planners of the concert and member of The Romance. “I booked all of the bands, and it was good to see the turnout. Everything fit perfectly.”\nLutterman said bad weather couldn’t put a damper on the night. \n“Everyone is affected by cancer, or knows someone who has been,” he said. “There were people out there walking the whole time.” \nHe said that the walkers’ devotion served as motivation for his and other bands to keep on rocking.\nOne of the bands slated to perform, The Buzzkills, canceled due to increasingly severe weather that eventually ended the Relay for Life event several hours early.\nLauren Sharo, events development co-chairwoman, said the event was still a hit. \n“Honestly, I think it went great. I was dancing outside in the rain and so were a lot of other people,” she said.\nStudents could be heard shouting at the PA announcer, pleading not to cancel the walk.\n“It was a good time, because people were still having fun,” said Sharo, who commended the band for their flexibility and fun attitudes.\nThe event ended about 2 a.m. Sunday, when the last of the participants packed their tents and headed home. Despite the premature ending, students remained positive. \n“It feels good to be involved in something that actually impacts my life,” Lutterman said.